Contributors to CFITSIO
Dozens of people have contributed to the development of CFITSIO. Some of
the especially significant contributions are listed below:
- Programmers from the Integral Science Data Center, Switzerland (Jurek
Borkowski, Bruce O'Neel, and Don Jennings) designed the concept of
plug-in I/O drivers for CFITSIO 2.0. This greatly simplified the
low-level I/O which in turn made other new features such as support
for compressed FITS files and IRAF image files much easier to implement.
- Jurek Borkowski wrote the shared memory file driver and Bruce O'Neel
wrote the FTP, HTTP and ROOT file drivers.
- Jurek Borkowski wrote the template file parsing routines.
- Don Jennings wrote the hierarchical grouping routines.
Giuliano Taffoni and Andrea Barisani, at INAF, University of Trieste,
Italy, implemented the I/O driver routines for accessing FITS files
on the computational grids using the gridftp protocol.
- Uwe Lammers (XMM/ESA/ESTEC) provided the fast lexical parsing algorithm that
is used by CFITSIO to filter table rows at run time. This algorithm
in effect compiles the expression, so that it does not need to be
interpreted for every row of the table.
- Peter Wilson (RSTX, NASA/GSFC) coded the parsing algorithm provided by
Lammers in C and
combined it with the CFITSIO iterator function for even faster throughput.
He also enhanced it to support all the FITS datatypes as well as null values.
- The CFITSIO Iterator function is loosely based on a similar idea developed
by the XMM project.
- Peter Wilson wrote the complete set of wrapper routines which provide
a simple and portable interface for Fortran programs to call CFITSIO.
- The file filtering and binning syntax used by CFITSIO is modelled on
a similar syntax developed by Jonathan McDowell and collaborators at
the AXAF Science Center.
- The new compressed image data format (where the image is tiled and
the compressed byte stream from each tile is stored in a binary table)
was implemented in collaboration with Richard White (STScI), Perry
Greenfield (STScI) and Doug Tody (NOAO).
- Doug Mink (SAO) provided the routines for converting IRAF format images
into FITS format.
Return to the FITSIO
FITSIO is maintained by:
Dr. William D. Pence,
(email: pence 'at' milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov)