Mission History - AXAF to Suzaku
- The XRS initially selected as one of the focal plane instruments of AXAF.
- AXAF split into AXAF-I (present-day Chandra) and AXAF-S programs, with the XRS comprising the AXAF-S.
- AXAF-S/XRS moved to the Japanese ASTRO-E mission.
- ASTRO-E launched but failed
to reach orbit.
XRS proposed as a SMEX mission ("Joule")
Astro-E2 mission approved in Japan.
- "Joule" converted to a Mission-of-Opportunity of Astro-E2
Astro-E2 approved by NASA.
- Rebuild of XRS and XRT (and XIS) confirmed by NASA.
- 2005 July 10
- Successful launch of Astro-E2, mission renamed Suzaku.
If you have any questions concerning Suzaku, visit the Feedback form.