Swift Archive: Data Caveat
What is available:
Swiftmastr and Swifttdrss table
- The data in the archive presently include the Level 1 files and some of the Level 2 files
produced by the pipeline processing at the SDC.
High level data products will be added to the archive at a later stage when available.
Users can produce the high level products by running the ground software on the data files currently
in the archive.
- The archive includes only the original messages sent via TDRSS, not the versions sent out
via the GCN.
- The archive contains data starting from Nov 2004. The data from Nov 2004 till January 2006 need to be reprocessed
to account for the new ingest timeline. The reprocessing of these data is complete till September 2005.
- Observation 00271019000 GRB 070318: the first exposure in the white filter has all star double in the first exposure.
This is due to a jump in the spacecraft attitude in the middle of the exposure that is not reported in the attitude data.
- 25 Sep 2007 Status: The spacecraft of the 11 of Aug 2007 experienced an attitude control problem and all instruments were turned off.
The XRT and BAT instruments were turned back on the 20 and 23 of August respectively however the attitude control problem
has not been completly solved. Data in the archive taken during this period will be all reprocessed
after the attitude problem is solved.
- In pipeline versions 3.9.9 through 3.10.*, uvot raw images in the data
archives will have been mod 8 corrected, whereas the raw images should
be left in their original form. Note that raw images are
integer-valued, whereas mod 8 corrected images are real-valued.
- Swiftmastr: Users should be aware that positions in the database table
(as well as in the data files) may not be correct in a number of
cases, e.g. ra and dec set to 0.0 -90.
- Swiftmastr: Some of the calibration target observations were made with the target offset from the
pointing direction. Although the target id was changed to indicate this, the source name was not.
- Swiftmastr : Typically the source name associated with the first observation
of a new trigger does not correspond to the GRB name but instead is set in swiftmaster
to "Burst". This is gradually corrected.
- Swiftmastr: If the satellite does not slew in response on a burst only BAT data are available
for that burst. The coordinates associated to a BAT only burst corresponds to the Swift pointing
position when the burst was detected and not to the burst coordinates.
- Swifttdrss: Many of the records in the swifttdrrs database are due to false triggers
and do not have any positions associated with them.
If you have a question about Swift, please contact us via the Feedback form.