XMM-NEWTON XSA Facility
A Simple Example
In this example we will use the SOC based XSA facility to create and download the calibrated event list files that are the input for further detailed analysis. Full XSA documentation can be found here, while links to other documentation about XSA and the derived XMM catalogues are here.
- 1) Launch the XSA applet, to start the XSA session. This will open General User Access to XSA window, which you can NOT close without terminating the XSA session, and an XMM-Newton Science Archive window, which is the general user interface.
- 2) Click the
Login/Registertab at the top of the window, (just below the window menubar).
- 3) Log into the XSA by filling in your user name and password
followed by pushing
Login & proceed, or register for a new account. Return to the query window.
- 4) Your user name should be displayed in the upper left corner of the
query window. Fill in the query parameters, for example the
Observation IDtext box, or the source name in the text box following the for SIMBADdrop down menu. Then push the Execute Querybutton near the center about a quarter of the way down from the top of the window.
- 5) This will generate a query results window, by default a list of
XMM observations. At this point you can directly download the Observation
Data Files (ODF), or the pipeline products (PPS) for any one element of
the query result just by selecting the appropriate request from the
dropdown menu marked
Retrieveon the left hand side of the result description. These will have not been reprocessed since SAS 7.1 or the original delivery of the dataset.
- 6) To request reprocessing, first select the check box
to the far left of the observation(s) you wish to analyze. Then select
Move Selected to Basketbutton from the second row of buttons at the top of the window (below the Science Archive banner).
- 7) This will empty the query results list. Select the
Shopping Basketfrom the top row of buttons.
- 8) In the Shopping Basket again make sure that you selected the check box to the left of each of the observations you want.
- 9) In the Observations Products select
Data Processingfrom drop down menu.
- 10) A drop down menu will appear next to the check box, which
EPN, equivalent to the epproc SAS ODF meta-task. If you wish to select multiple products, then select Multiplefrom the drop down. This will pop up a selection window allowing you to shift-click to select any desired products ( MOSfor emproc, OM Imagefor omichain, RGSfor rgsproc). When you have selected all the desired products, dismiss the pop-up by hitting the Donebutton.
- 11) Click the
Submit Requestbutton to the right of the Observations Products selection.
- 12) On the Summary Rest Page click the
- 13) Note the Product Request ID, and click
Dismiss. You will receive an e-mail conformation when the data are available, and directions on how to download them. You can also view the status of the request by hitting the Request Monitorbutton from the top row of buttons. Be sure to Logout from the XSA when you are done.
If you have any questions concerning XMM-Newton send e-mail to email@example.com