Shedding a New Light on the Universe
by Maggie Masetti
These pages are for anyone who wants basic information about multiwavelength or X-ray astronomy. You will find activities which can be done by anyone, students and non-students alike, scattered throughout.
These pages are based on the "Shedding a New Light on the Universe" print booklet that we produced to go along with the print version of our RXTE model. You can download a pdf version of the whole booklet. [1.5 MB pdf]
Table of Contents
- The Electromagnetic Spectrum
- What if we could see Infrared Light?
- X-ray Vision?
- The Energetic Universe
- A Telescope For All Occasions
- The Multiwavelength Milky Way
- The Crab Nebula in Different Energies
- X-ray Astronomy
- Light Curves
- Measuring Photon Energies
- Satellites and Their Parts
- The Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer
- What Does RXTE Look At?
- RXTE Discoveries
- And in the End...