BeppoSAX AO3

 We apologize if you receive this message more than once.

                           ITALIAN SPACE AGENCY

				   ASI

Rome, December 8 1998

Dear Sir/Madam,

On behalf of the Italian Space Agency (ASI) and the Netherland Agency
for Aerospace Programs (NIVR), I have the pleasure of inviting you to
take part in the BeppoSAX Astronomy Observation Program.

The attached ANNOUNCEMENT OF OPPORTUNITY (AO3) concerns the third
round of proposals for the CORE PROGRAM and the GUEST OBSERVER PROGRAM

                   Proposals due by February 1, 1999.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a very successful
and profitable participation in the BeppoSAX observation program.

                                             Sincerely,

                                             Giovanni F.Bignami

                                             Science Director, ASI

            SCIENCE STEERING COMMITTEE FOR THE BEPPOSAX MISSION

Rome, December 8 1998

Dear Colleague,

The operational phase of BeppoSAX covering the observation of the
Target list approved in the AO-2 round is expected to be completed by
February 1999.

This letter is to inform you about the opportunity to submit proposals
to the:

                      BeppoSAX CORE PROGRAM (CP)

and to the:

                      BeppoSAX GUEST OBSERVER PROGRAM (GOP)

for the third year of operations covering the period
March 1 1999 - February 28 2000.

For this period the Core Program covers 50% of the available observing
time, and the Guest Observers Program covers 50% of the available
observing time.

Proposals to participate in the BeppoSAX observing programs should be
prepared and submitted following the instructions given in the
documents " BeppoSAX Announcement of Opportunity AO-3 for Core Program
and Guest Observer Program" and "BeppoSAX Observers` Handbook" with
its "Addendum".

Deadlines for proposal submission are:

             BeppoSAX  CP & GOP AO-3  ====>> February 1 1999

Each proposal will be evaluated by the BeppoSAX Time Allocation
Committee.

The list of approved targets will be available at the beginning of
March 1999.

Successful proponents are expected to receive the necessary financial
support from their home institutions or national agency.

I would appreciate if you could circulate this Announcement to all
interested colleagues within your institution.

                                    Yours sincerely,

                                    Livio Scarsi

                                    Chairman of the SSSC

Dear Colleague,

The documentation regarding the BeppoSAX AO3 for the Core and Guest
Observer Programs is available on-line from the SAX SDC anonymous ftp
service:

ftp www.sdc.asi.it

cd pub/sax/doc/ao3

or from any of its mirrors:

ftp ftp.tesre.bo.cnr.it

cd pub/sax/doc/ao3

ftp legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov

cd sax/ao_info/ao3

Frequently updated information is available from the BeppoSAX SDC web pages:

http://www.asdc.asi.it/bepposax/

The SAX Observers' Handbook (SOH) and its Addendum are available from the
same sites:

ftp www.sdc.asi.it

cd pub/sax/doc/handbook

or

ftp ftp.testre.bo.cnr.it

cd pub/sax/doc/handbook

or

ftp legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov

cd sax/ao_info/handbook

The SAX AO3 Proposal templates (proposal.txt for NFI and WFC,
proposal_nfi.txt for NFI, proposal_wfc.txt for WFC) can be retrieved
from the same sites in the directories pub/sax/doc/ao3 or
sax/ao_info/ao3 and compiled using any text editor, Proposal templates
can also be compiled using a WWW tool available at the following URL:

http://www.sdc.asi.it/spass/

A help page for the usage of this tool is located :

http://www.sdc.asi.it/spass/help.html

The AO1 and AO2 approved CP and GOP pointing list and the corresponding
abstracts can be accessed from the SDC WWW interface and its mirror:

http://www.sdc.asi.it/ao_browser.html

http://www.tesre.bo.cnr.it/Sax/ao_browser.html

The list of approved observations is also available via

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/W3Browse

Questions concerning the AO and the BeppoSAX mission in general
can be submitted via e-mail to:

                      helpdesk@sax.sdc.asi.it

Wishing you Happy Holidays we invite you to view our on-line
BeppoSAX calendar 1999 at
         http://www.sdc.asi.it/calendar
                        or
         http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/sax/calendar

                                      Yours Sincerely,

				Luigi Piro     BeppoSAX Mission Scientist
				Paolo Giommi   BeppoSAX SDC
			 	Fabrizio Fiore BeppoSAX-SDC
					on behalf of
					the BeppoSAX Team