HEASARC News: Conference Announcements

Upcoming meeting announcements:

1) X-RAY ASTRONOMY 2009 - September 7 - 11, 2009 - Bologna, Italy
2) 16th Atomic Processes in Plasmas Conference - March 22 - 26, 2009 - Monterey, CA, USA

1) X-RAY ASTRONOMY 2009

			FIRST CIRCULAR
		        ===============

       |                                                 |
       |         INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMY MEETING         |
       |						 |
       |            X-RAY ASTRONOMY 2009                 |
       |    Present Status, multiwavelength approach     |
       |  	  and future perspectives                |
       |            September 7 - 11, 2009               |
       |         Aula Absidale di Santa Lucia		 |
       |	     Bologna  (Italy)                    |
       |                                                 |

Introduction
-------------

Third in a decadal series of X-ray astronomy conferences held in Bologna,
the meeting will highlight the contributions of XMM-Newton, Chandra and Suzaku
observatories over the last ten years and celebrate the International Year of
Astronomy (IYA2009).

We plan to address major observational and theoretical aspects of
X-ray emission from a wide range of cosmic sources.  Emphasis will be
given to multiwavelength studies of cosmic sources and associated
synergies with major facilities at all wavelengths, and on the
perspectives for future high-energy astrophysics missions.  A brief
outline of the meeting with proposed topics is attached.

The workshop is being jointly organized by INAF (Osservatorio
Astronomico di Bologna and Istituto di Astrofisica Spaziale e Fisica
Cosmica di Bologna) and by the Astronomy Department of the University
of Bologna, under the auspices of Bologna's Local Authorities.

Venue

The Meeting will take place in the Aula Absidale di Santa Lucia.  The
conference room, with seats arranged like an amphitheatre, is located
in the city center and it was the apse of a former church.  It is
normally used for the official ceremonies of the Bologna University.

We envisage 9 half-day sessions, each comprising 1 review, 2 invited/solicited
and 6/7 contributed talks, plus poster presentations.
A "best poster" award ceremony will be organized.

We are planning at maximum 300 participants (which is the hard upper limit
of the conference hall).

The pre-registration is already open at conference web site:

http://www.iasfbo.inaf.it/events/xray2009/

The page is being regularly updated with all the relevant information
(i.e. travelling, accommodations, registration fee, hotel booking,
excursions, ...)

Important Deadlines:

Abstract (oral and posters) May 1, 2009

Registration                July 1, 2009

Scientific Organizing Committee (SOC)

A. Comastri (INAF/ OA-Bologna, Italy  - Chair)
L. Angelini (NASA/GSFC, USA)
X. Barcons (IFC, Spain)
T. Belloni (INAF/ OA-Brera)
N. Brandt (PSU, USA)
T. Courvoisier (ISDC, Switzerland)
A. Decourchelle (CEA, France)
N. Gehrels (NASA/GSFC, USA)
I. Georgantopoulos (Athens Nat. Obs, Greece)
P. Grandi (INAF/ IASF-Bologna)
J. Greiner (MPE, Germany)
K. Makishima (Tokyo U., Japan)
G. Malaguti (INAF/IASF-Bologna, Italy)
G. Micela (INAF/OA-Palermo, Italy)
P. Nandra (Imp. College London, UK)
A. Parmar (ESA/ESTEC, The Netherlands)
S. Schindler (Inst. Astroph. Innsbruck, Austria)
R. Sunyaev (MPA, Garching, Germany)
H. Tananbaum (CfA, Cambridge, USA)
M. Turner (Leicester Univ., UK)
P. Ubertini (INAF/IASF-Roma, Italy)
C. Vignali (Bologna Univ., Italy)
N. White (NASA/GSFC, USA)

Rationale
--------------

X-ray astronomy is a mature science.  Its birth dates back to 1962
when the first cosmic source (Sco X-1) and the cosmic X-ray background
were discovered by Riccardo Giacconi and collaborators.  Since the
first rocket flight, a large number of satellites dedicated to the
observation of the X-ray sky have allowed us to expand the discovery
space.

Nowadays, several hundred thousand X-ray sources are known, from
nearby stars and compact objects in our Galaxy to the most distant
quasars, powered by supermassive black holes, and galaxy clusters, the
largest gravitationally-bound objects in the Universe.  It also
appears that intergalactic space is filled by hot, tenuous gas where
the majority of baryonic matter is locked.

In the last decade, a major step forward in our understanding of the
physics and cosmological evolution of X-ray sources has been possible
thanks to the ESA and NASA cornerstone missions (XMM-Newton and
Chandra), the Japanese satellite Suzaku, RossiXTE , INTEGRAL and Swift
satellites.  Many of the scientific programs based on the X-ray data
are complemented by observations taken over most of the
electromagnetic spectrum.  A multiwavelength approach is now essential
to address the most pressing scientific questions and to test
theoretical models.

We feel that after so many years - in particular the last decade - of
successful observations and almost continuous data flow, it is time to
discuss the most important achievements obtained in the X-ray domain
and put them in a multiwavelength context.  We expect presentations
summarizing the most relevant breakthroughs from XMM, Chandra and
associated multiwavelength programs as well as from Suzaku, INTEGRAL,
Swift and Fermi.  We also intend to stimulate discussion on the future
directions of X-ray astronomy in the next decade and, in particular,
about the role of future X-ray missions with respect to the present
and planned facilities both ground based and space based.

The main scientific issues to be addresses are:

* STELLAR OBJECTS AND SUPERNOVA REMNANTS

	 - Cool and hot stars
	 - Star-forming regions
	 - Neutron Stars
	 - Supernovae and SN remnants and pulsar wind nebulae
	 - Pulsars and Soft Gamma-Ray Repeaters

* BLACK HOLES AND COMPACT OBJECTS

        - Matter under extreme conditions
        - Physics of Accretion and Ejection
	- X-rays as probes of General Relativity
	- Particle acceleration
        - Evolution of Super-massive Black Holes
	- Black Hole-Galaxy Co-Evolution and Feedback processes

* GALAXIES AND CLUSTERS OF GALAXIES

	-  Star formation across cosmic time
	-  Physical processes in clusters and groups
	-  Metal enrichment of the ICM
	-  Interaction of cluster components
	-  WHIM
	-  Clusters of galaxies as cosmological probes

* PRESENT and FUTURE MISSIONS

	- XMM, Chandra, Suzaku
	- RossiXTE, INTEGRAL, Swift
	- Simbol X, NuStar, EXIST, ASTRO-H
	- JANUS, GEMS, WFXT
	- IXO
	- Synergies with other wavelengths.

2) 16th Atomic Processes in Plasmas Conference

16th Atomic Processes in Plasmas Conference

Dear Colleague,

This note is to remind you that the abstract submission deadline for
the 16th Atomic Processes in Plasmas (APiP) Conference is now one
month away, January 16, 2009.  Details are available though the
conference website at http://www.confcon.com/apip09/abstract.php.
APiP abstract format requirements and instructions on how to complete
the submission process are also available there.

Please note that we encourage you to register early for the conference.
If you register by January 16, 2009, you will enjoy the discounted early
registration rate of $550 ($300 for full time Ph.D. students).  After
January 16th, the registration rates will be increased by $50.

Important deadlines are as follows:
Abstracts for posters and talks due: January 16, 2009
Hotel reservations: March 9, 2009
Early registration deadline: January 16, 2009
Final registration deadline: March 16, 2009

We look forward to seeing you in Monterey in March 2009.

Sincerely,
The 2009 APiP Local Organizing Committee
http://www.confcon.com/apip09/committees.php

--
A service of the High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center (HEASARC)
NASA/GSFC

Please do not reply to this message.
Questions or comments should go to:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/Feedback