GSFC XMM-Newton GOF Status Report #271: XMM-NEWTON NEWS #161

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

             XMM-NEWTON NEWS #161    ---    27-Feb-2014

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

            XMM-Newton Science Operations Centre at
             ESA's European Space Astronomy Centre,
P.O. Box - Apdo. 78, 28691 Villanueva de la Canada, Madrid, Spain

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

SOC Home Page:
http://xmm.esac.esa.int/
Helpdesk Web interface:
http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/helpdesk.shtml
Helpdesk email address:
xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
News Mailing List:
http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_news/news_list/index.php

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Contents:

- XMM-Newton Users Group meeting #15

- XSA v8.2 release with access to the XMM-Newton OM (v2) and the Slew
  Survey (Delta-6) Catalogues

- Version 2 of the XMM-Newton OM Catalogue

- Incremental (Delta-6) version of the XMM-Newton Slew Survey Catalogue

- Scientific validation report for SASv13 and SASv13.5

- Let us know about XMM-Newton related Ph.D.

Users Group meeting #15: Invitation from UG chair to contact them

The XMM-Newton Users Group (UG) will hold its yearly meeting next 10th
and  11th April at  ESAC. As  always, I  would like  to invite you to
contact any  of the members  of the UG  and/or myself if you  have any
sort of  feedback, suggestion or topic  that you would like  the UG to
discuss in relation to the XMM-Newton operations.

I  would  like  to thank  very  specially  the  users that  have been
suggesting topics  to the UG  to improve operations of  the XMM-Newton
X-ray observatory.  And as every year,  I'd like to  gently remind you
all  that  the UG  resorts  very  much on  your  views  to fulfil our
mission. Please  contact me  or any  other UG member  if you  want any
specific topic being addressed in the coming meeting.

Since this will be the last XMM-Newton UG meeting that I will have the
honour to chair, I'd like to thank you all for keeping the observatory
as the most productive ESA science mission.

Thanks for your help,

Xavier Barcons, Chair, XMM-Newton Users Group

A dedicated Web page of the Users Group is available at:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/usersgroup/

This Web  page provides,  among other information,  the agenda for UG
meeting #15 and contact points  for all interested astronomers to send
their comments to the UG members.

XSA v8.2 release with access to the XMM-Newton OM (v2) and the
Slew Survey (Delta-6) Catalogues

A  new  version  of  the  XMM-Newton Science  Archive  (XSA v8.2)  is
available at:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/xsa

It includes, besides several improvements,  access to version 2 of the
XMM-Newton  OM  Catalogue  and  to  the  incremental  version  of the
XMM-Newton Slew Survey Source Catalogue, XMMSL1 Delta-6.

New version of the XMM-Newton OM Catalogue

The  second version  of  the XMM-Newton  OM Serendipitous Ultraviolet
Source Survey Catalogue (XMM-SUSS2) is available.

The  XMM-SUSS2  catalogue  can  be  accessed through  the  XSA search
interface.   Besides,  either  the  complete catalogue  or  a reduced
version of it can be downloaded.

In addition to covering  a larger observation period (2000-2012), this
release differs from  the previous one by inclusion  of the OM visible
filters, besides the UV filters, and by performing source detection on
stacked images facilitating the detection of fainter sources.

The number  of observations  included in the  catalogue is  6604. The
total  number of  entries  in this  second  release is  more than 5.5
million.   They correspond  to 4  million sources,  of which  17% have
multiple entries corresponding to different observations.

Incremental version of the XMM-Newton Slew Survey Catalogue:
XMMSL1 Delta-6

An  update to  the  XMM-Newton Slew  Survey  Source Catalogue (XMMSL1
Delta-6) is now  available. It can be accessed  and searched with XSA,
or downloaded as a FITS table from the XSA web page.

The update contains  new data from 390 slew  observations made between
revolutions 2012 and 2441.  The  new slews cover 14600 square degrees,
and contain 12000 new detections of  which 6500 are new sources in the
clean catalogue. The  total sky coverage of the  slew catalogue is now
around 65% and  the total number of sources in  the clean catalogue is
20163.

Documentation about the catalogue is available at:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_products/slew_survey/xmmsl1d_ug.shtml

Scientific validation report for SASv13 and SASv13.5

The results of  the scientific validation of SAS  v13.0 and v13.5 have
been summarised  in a  report now available  under the  SAS Scientific
Validation page:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_data_analysis/sas_validation/

Let us know about XMM-Newton related Ph.D.

The XMM-Newton team is  collecting information about the completion of
doctorates and  Ph.D. theses  based on (or  making use  of) XMM-Newton
observations.  Ideally, it is  our intention  to collect  the complete
list of Ph.D.  works based on XMM-Newton data and this  is why we need
your help.

We would  appreciate if  you -  being a candidate  or supervisor of a
doctorate - could let us know the following details:

- Year of the thesis
- Candidate's name
- Supervisor's name
- Institution
- Thesis Title
- Statement that the thesis is either based on, or making use of,
  XMM-Newton observations

Please contact us through the Helpdesk at:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/helpdesk.shtml

sending an e-mail with Subject:  "Ph.D. thesis work".  The message can
be flagged as private.  In  any case, all provided information will be
handled confidentially.

Yours sincerely,

XMM-Newton SOC