RXTE Cycle 5 Released

    RXTE Cycle 5 Announcement Released: Proposals Due July 30, 1999

   The NASA Office of Space Science (OSS) has released an Announcement
(AN 99-OSS-02) that solicits observing proposals for participation in
the NASA program to acquire and analyze scientific data from the Rossi
X-ray Timing Explorer.

   This Announcement is the fifth for RXTE Guest Observations, and
solicits proposals for observations to be carried out beginning on or
around 1 January 2000. Cycle 5 is expected to last approximately 12
months. Proposals for observing time are due

                     *********************
                     *  30th JULY, 1999  *
                     *********************

   The text of the Announcement, plus the relevant Appendices, may be
obtained from the RXTE Guest Observer Facility pages at:

	http://rxte.gsfc.nasa.gov/
(select "Proposals and Planning Tools" -> "NASA Research Announcements")

   Prospective proposers should ensure that they study these pages, as
some changes have occured since Cycle 4.

   Printed copies of the appendices can be requested by sending
papermail to
		Dr. Alan Smale
		RXTE Guest Observer Facility
		Code 662
		NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
		Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA

or by sending Email to xtehelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov. They may also be
downloaded from legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov in PostScript format.

   No funding will be provided through this Announcement, which is for
RXTE observing time only. (From Cycle 4 onward, funding for analysis
and interpretation of new as well as archival RXTE data has been
through the NASA Astrophysics Data Program (ADP). Observers with
accepted RXTE observations may submit a proposal for funding to the
ADP competition.)

   Potential proposers are reminded that RXTE has a wide variety of
possible observing modes each with its own telemetry cost, and that
observing configurations must be specified on the proposal forms --
they cannot be supplied later or chosen for you by the RXTE SOC.  We
therefore strongly advise proposers to allow sufficient time to
familiarize themselves with RXTE and to perform the necessary
feasibility calculations and configuration selections.

| Dr. Alan P. Smale                | xtehelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov (RXTE)|
| RXTE Guest Observer Facility     | alan@osiris.gsfc.nasa.gov (me)     |
| Code 662,  NASA/GSFC             | (301) 286-7063 (voice)             |
| Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA         | (301) 286-1682 (FAX)               |
|              RXTE GOF homepage: http://rxte.gsfc.nasa.gov             |