RXTE Cycle 7 Announcement Released

                 RXTE Guest Observer Program (Cycle 7)
                       Released:  June 18, 2001
                  Proposals Due:  September 17, 2001
                 FULLY ELECTRONIC PROPOSAL SUBMISSION

NASA is pleased to call to the attention of the members of the
scientific community the opportunity to submit proposals requesting
observing time on the Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer (RXTE).  This
Announcement is the seventh for RXTE Guest Observations, and solicits
proposals for observations to be carried out beginning on or around
March 1, 2002.  Cycle 7 is expected to last approximately 12 months.
A new feature of this year's Announcement is the transition to a fully
electronic proposal submission process.  The Announcement may be
accessed via the following site:

         http://rxte.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xte/cycle7.html

which includes full details of the new electronic submission process.
Please send any questions to:

                 xtehelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov

   No funding will be provided through this Announcement, which is
for RXTE observing time only. From Cycle 4 onward, funding for
analysis and interpretation of new as well as archival RXTE data has
been through the NASA Astrophysics Data Program (ADP). Observers with
accepted RXTE observations may submit a proposal for funding to the
ADP competition.

   Potential proposers are reminded that RXTE has a wide variety of
possible observing modes each with its own telemetry cost, and that
observing configurations must be specified on the proposal forms --
they cannot be supplied later or chosen for you by the RXTE SOC.  We
therefore strongly advise proposers to allow sufficient time to
familiarize themselves with RXTE and to perform the necessary
feasibility calculations and configuration selections.

| Dr. Alan P. Smale     (USRA)     | xtehelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov (RXTE)|
| RXTE Guest Observer Facility     | alan@osiris.gsfc.nasa.gov (me)     |
| Code 662,  NASA/GSFC             | (301) 286-7063 (voice)             |
| Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA         | (301) 286-1682 (FAX)               |
|              RXTE GOF homepage: http://rxte.gsfc.nasa.gov             |