ROSAT Status report#125: ROSAT - 5 years in orbit

		ROSAT Status Report # 125

=                                                                       =
=              ROSAT NEWS No. 39   ---      1-June-1995                 =
=                                                                       =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=                 ROSAT Scientific Data Center at the                   =
=       Max-Planck-Institut fuer Extraterrestrische Physik (MPE)        =
=               Postfach 1603, D-85740 Garching, Germany                =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  e-mail addresses (Uli Zimmermann):                                   =
=   rosat_svc@mpe-garching.mpg.de (Internet) or  MPE::ROSAT_SVC (SPAN)  =
=  ROSAT Service Area (including ROSAT Data Archive):                   =
=   ftp rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de      user: anonymous              =
=   WWW address:  http://rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de/                 =
=   interactive account (including ROSAT Result Archive):               =
=     telnet xray.mpe-garching.mpg.de  user: xray  no password          =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  XUV Center: 29382::GXUVDC or  GXUVDC@AIT.PHYSIK.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE     =
=   WFC Archive access via telnet/ftp ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de       =
=                                user: xuv  (password: xuv_archive)     =

Contents:  ROSAT FIVE YEARS IN-ORBIT
           SATELLITE STATUS
           FIRST ROSAT CATALOG UPDATE
           EXSAS - LINUX VERSION

ROSAT FIVE  YEARS IN-ORBIT
==========================
Today, on 1st June 1995, the R"ontgen Satellite has completed its fifth
year of operation. These years have been a very busy and productive time
for many of us. We at MPE are very happy about the great scientific
success of this mission which has provided a wealth of data for a wide
scientific community. We thank all our partners and friends for the
excellent collaborations.

ROSAT represents the only high resolution X-ray telescope available for
years to come. The strong response to the 6th Announcement of
Opportunity demonstrates the continuing scientific interest. We hope
for a long life of ROSAT.

Joachim Tr"umper
for the ROSAT Team at MPE

SATELLITE STATUS
================
All operations during the last month ran without major problems.

First ROSAT CATALOG UPDATE
==========================
An updated version of the "First ROSAT Source Catalog of Pointed
Observations with the PSPC" has been installed on May 11, 1995. The new
version contains now 74301 sources from 3927 pointings.

The Source Catalog is available under the database name  rosatsrc
(ROSAT sources). The command dbhelp within BROWSE displays general
info on the catalog including explanations of the applied  source
selection and  completeness criteria.

EXSAS - LINUX VERSION
A LINUX version of the most recent EXSAS version is now available from
the ROSAT Service Area (directory exsas/95JAN_EXP_Linux).