ROSAT Status Report #134

   			    Dec 21 1995

=                                                                       =
=              ROSAT NEWS No. 43   ---      21-Dec-1995                 =
=                                                                       =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=                 ROSAT Scientific Data Center at the                   =
=       Max-Planck-Institut fuer Extraterrestrische Physik (MPE)        =
=               Postfach 1603, D-85740 Garching, Germany                =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  e-mail addresses (Uli Zimmermann):                                   =
=   rosat_svc@mpe-garching.mpg.de (Internet) or  MPE::ROSAT_SVC (SPAN)  =
=  ROSAT Service Area (including ROSAT Data Archive):                   =
=   ftp rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de      user: anonymous              =
=   WWW address:  http://rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de/                 =
=   interactive account (including ROSAT Result Archive):               =
=     telnet xray.mpe-garching.mpg.de  user: xray  no password          =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  XUV Center: 29382::GXUVDC or  GXUVDC@AIT.PHYSIK.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE     =
=   WFC Archive access via telnet/ftp ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de       =
=                                user: xuv  (password: xuv_archive)     =
=   WWW address:  http://astro.uni-tuebingen.de/rosat.html              =

              the team of the ROSAT Data Center wishes you

             |        M E R R Y   C H R I S T M A S        |
            - -                                           - -
            / \                                           / \
           /o *\                 and  a                  /* o\
          /_   _o                                       /_   _\
           o * \                                         * o \
          /   o \         S U C C E S S F U L L         /   * \
         /_*    _\                                     /_o    _\
          /o   *\                                       /*   o\
         /    o  \          Y E A R   1 9 9 6          /    *  \
        /__*_ __o_\                                   /__o_ __*_\
            | |                                           | |
  __________| |___________________________________________| |__________

Contents:  SATELLITE STATUS
           EXSAS

SATELLITE STATUS
================
On December 2nd ROSAT entered the safemode from which it was recovered
after about 8 hours. It was the first genuine AMCS safe mode since
October 29, 1994. An unsuccessful target acquisition attempt occured
before entry of the spacecraft into the shadow phase of the orbit.
As is usual in this situation, the satellite was angular momentum
stabilized and began a precession movement. The sunlit phase of the orbit
was then entered with a sun angle greater 15 deg. In such a situation
there is a margin of 5 min for AMCS software to re-acquire a sun angle
below 15 deg. The AMCS just fell short of achieving this within the 5 min
so that the AMCS safemode was triggered. Obviously, this event was just
an extreme in a distribution of similar events that for the most part
are routinely handled with success. Recovery from the safemode was
straightforward. The general performance of the AMCS has been very
stable.

EXSAS
=====
A new version of EXSAS, compatible with the November95 version of MIDAS,
is in preparation and will be available in the second half of January.