ROSAT Status Report #146: MPE NEWS #50

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 18:09:36 +0100
Subject: MPE: ROSAT NEWS No.50

=                                                                       =
=              ROSAT NEWS No. 50     ---    20-Dec-1996                 =
=                                                                       =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=                 ROSAT Scientific Data Center at the                   =
=       Max-Planck-Institut fuer Extraterrestrische Physik (MPE)        =
=               Postfach 1603, D-85740 Garching, Germany                =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  e-mail address:   rosat_svc@mpe-garching.mpg.de                      =
=  ROSAT Service Area (including ROSAT Data Archive):                   =
=   www address:  http://rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de/                 =
=   ftp rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de      user: anonymous              =
=   interactive account (including ROSAT Result Archive):               =
=     telnet xray.mpe-garching.mpg.de  user: xray  no password          =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  XUV Center: 29382::GXUVDC or  GXUVDC@AIT.PHYSIK.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE     =
=   WFC Archive access via telnet/ftp ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de       =
=                                user: xuv  (password: xuv_archive)     =
=   www address:  http://astro.uni-tuebingen.de/rosat.html              =

       The German ROSAT Data Center Team at MPE wishes all of you a

                                      *

                                      *
            Merry                    /*\                Christmas
                                    **|**
                                .  */@**\*  .
                                | ***/*\*** |
                                ***/****@\***
                              .  *****|*****  .
            and a             | **/*@*****\** |
                              *****/*****\*****
                                */****|*@**\*
                            .  ***/**@****\***  .
                            | **@***/*|*\****** |
        successful          ***/***********@*\***        Year 1997
                          **/* */** **|** **\* *\**
                           @      @  |||  @      @
                                 ___//|\\___

Contents: IAU COLLOQUIUM ON "THE LOCAL BUBBLE AND BEYOND" AT MPE
          X-RAYS SURVEYS WORKSHOP AT POTSDAM
          PSPC CALIBRATION STATUS
          ROSAT USER'S HANDBOOK UPDATED
          ROSAT ALL SKY SURVEY - NEW MIRROR SITE

IAU COLLOQUIUM ON "THE LOCAL BUBBLE AND BEYOND" AT MPE
On April 21 to 25, 1997 the IAU Colloquium No. 166 entitled "The
Local Bubble and Beyond" will take part at MPE.

The aim is to provide a synopsis of observational evidence in all
different available wavebands and contrast this with current
theoretical modelling. During the last few years, due to the launch
of ROSAT, EUVE, and HST amongst other satellites, our picture of what
was once labelled " The Local Hot Bubble " has changed dramatically.
One aspect, that should deserve special emphasis in this conference,
is the comparison of the Local Bubble to other bubbles, and its
relation to more general phenomena that govern the Interstellar
Medium. We feel that giving up the uniqueness of our local environment
and taking a more " Copernican " point of view will help us to
understand basic physical processes that determine the Interstellar
Medium in general.

Detailed information on programme and organization is accessible via:
http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/local-bubble

X-RAYS SURVEYS WORKSHOP AT POTSDAM
==================================
To mark the occasions of the 35th anniversary of the birth of X-ray
astronomy on June 18, 1962, and the 7th anniversary of the first light
of ROSAT on June 16, 1990, the Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam
and the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center X-ray Astrophysics Branch are
cosponsoring a workshop entitled "X-ray Surveys". The objectives of
this workshop are to

- review recent X-ray survey results, in particular those from ROSAT
  and ASCA;
- consider the survey capabilities of the AXAF, XMM, Astro-E, and
  ABRIXAS missions; and
- discuss next generation X-ray survey mission concepts.

The meeting will be a mixture of invited reviews, contributed talks,
and poster sessions. The science topics will include "AGN and the X-ray
Background," "Using X-ray sources to trace the large scale structure
of the Universe," "The evolution of clusters of galaxies," "Stellar
populations in the galaxy," and "X-ray comet surveys".

The three-day workshop will be June 18 to June 20, 1997, and will be
hosted by the Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam at the Inselhotel
Hermannswerder in Potsdam, Germany. The conference room holds about
150 people and attendance will be strictly limited to this number.

Those interested in attending should pre-register for the meeting as
soon as possible using the form at the WWW site:
http://www.aip.de:8080/astro_info/xsurvey.html

Further registration and meeting details will be posted at this site
and circulated to all of those who have pre-registered.

PSPC CALIBRATION STATUS
=======================
There is an intermediate report by Michael Freyberg on the on-going effort
to understand the time history of the spectral calibration of the PSPC
detector. The report may be found in www at
http://ftp.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/rosat_svc/calibration/
                                                   PSPC_cal_status.html

ROSAT USER'S HANDBOOK UPDATED
=============================
An update of the ROSAT User's Handbook is accessible via www at
http://ftp.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/rosat_svc/doc/handbook/html/
or in the anonymous ftp area (file rosat_book-961216.ps.gz, directory
doc/handbook).

ROSAT ALL SKY SURVEY - NEW MIRROR SITE
A mirror site of the ROSAT All-Sky Survey www pages at MPE, available via
http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/survey/
has been installed also at GSFC at
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/rosat/survey/