GSFC XMM-Newton GOF Status Report #069: Useful Information

Contents:
1) AO-3 scientific justification file size limitation
2) RGS Background files available (repeated notice)
3) PIMMS and WebPIMMS updated with AO-3 area curves
4) MOS low energy epoch-dependent response variation
5) U.S. XMM-Newton automatic data CD distribution to stop
6) Useful Information for XMM-Newton Data Analysis

1) AO-3 scientific justification file size limitation

    Please note that the size of the scientific justification
    file to be uploaded with the AO-3 proposal submission
    can not exceed 10 Mb.  This requirement is listed on
    pages 15/16 of the XMM-Newton Announcement of
    Opportunity: Policies and Procedures.

 http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/external/xmm_science/AO3/ao3_policy_proc/node22.shtml

2) RGS Background files available

    RGS Background template event files have been provided by
    T. Tamura, from the RGS Team at SRON. These files have been
    derived from blank-sky observations, and have total exposure
    times ranging from 80 to 390 ksec. They are useful when the
    background cannot be accurately derived from the standard
    off-axis regions, e.g. in the case of extended sources.

    These files are accessible through the XMM-Newton Calibration
    Portal at the following URL:
    http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/external/xmm_sw_cal/calib/index.shtml

3) PIMMS and WebPIMMS updated with AO-3 area curves

    PIMMS v3.3a has now been released which includes the latest
    effective area curves for XMM-Newton, appropriate for use
    for AO-3 proposals. If you had already run PIMMS for
    your AO-3 proposal, please rerun them again now.

4) MOS low energy epoch-dependent response variation

    Recent observations of calibration targets confirm a significant
    difference in the low energy redistribution characteristics of the
    MOS cameras with respect to early observations.

    More details can be read in Status Report #068:
    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/mail_archive/xmmnews/msg00064.html

5) U.S. XMM-Newton automatic data CD distribution to stop

    Beginning May 1, the U.S. XMM-Newton GOF will only be distributing
    data CDs to PIs that request the service. While we will still
    archive and encrypt the data for retrieval, in the near
    future the XMM SOC in Vilspa will no longer send these CDs to us
    as we will transition to a fully electronic transfer system.

    If you have any questions on this policy, please write to:
    xmmhelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov

6) Useful Information for XMM-Newton Data Analysis

    Below are links to information that you may find useful if you
    haven't done much work with XMM-Newton and the SAS software
    package. Please feel free to cut this out and post it on your
    refrigerator or monitor for quick and easy referencing

  > Observation Status - Does an observation contain the type of
    data I'm looking for:

    http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/external/xmm_obs_info/obs_view_frame.shtml

    SOC: http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/xsa/
    GSFC: http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/db-perl/W3Browse/w3browse.pl

    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/about_docs.html

    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/abc/

  > Calibration Status information:

    http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/external/xmm_sw_cal/calib/index.shtml

  > AO-3 Questions: (Deadline 30 April, 2003, 12:00 UT)

    http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/external/xmm_science/AO3/

  > How to find out what a SAS error/warning message means:

      From the SAS GUI select:
        Help > Tasks
      This will bring up a browser window with the following links:
        Index of task warnings
        Index of task errors

    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/xmmhp_bibliography.html

    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/mail_archive/xmmnews/maillist.html

--
A service of the XMM-Newton GOF, NASA/GSFC

Please do not reply to this email.
Questions or comments should go to:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/Feedback