Workshop on HTXS - Sept 30-Oct 1, 1996 - Preliminary Announcement

          Workshop on High Throughput X-ray Spectroscopy
                   September 30 - October 1 1996
                     PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

The Scientific Working Group for the High Throughput X-ray
Spectroscopy Mission concept study (co-chaired by Nick White and
Harvey Tananbaum) is organizing a two-day Workshop on High Throughput
X-ray Spectroscopy to be held in Boston/Cambridge, Massachusetts, on
September 30 and October 1, 1996.

The Workshop will emphasize invited talks focusing on the important
scientific questions which will be addressed by High Throughput X-ray
Spectroscopy.  In addition, we will have poster/display sessions for
contributed papers on related science and instrumentation topics.

A list of tentative speakers and subjects will be provided shortly.
For current information on the HTXS mission concept study, please
access the web page at:

http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xray/htxs/home.html

Proceedings of the Workshop will be widely disseminated following the
meeting.  There will be no registration fee.

The Workshop will be held at the DoubleTree Guest Suites overlooking
the Charles River (on the Boston side) about one mile from Harvard
Square.  We have reserved a block of rooms for up to 3 nights (from
Sunday, September 29 through Tuesday, October 1) for those needing
accommodations for the meeting.

We plan to hold a reception (hors d'oeuvres provided plus cash bar) on
Sunday evening.  During breaks in the Workshop sessions, we will
provide coffee/juice/pastry in the morning, and beverage/cookies in
the afternoon (at no cost to participants).

Further details about the hotel/meeting site are provided below.

For planning purposes, it would be most helpful if you would send
e-mail before July 1 to:

              htxsmtg@cfa.harvard.edu

  ** PLEASE NOTE THAT your response should be sent to htxsmtg and NOT
by ``replying'' to this message. **

We would appreciate your response to the following questions:
  c.  Not interested - please delete my name from future mailings.
      (If responding (c), not interested, please stop here.)

2.  Accommodations

  a.  Likely to stay at DoubleTree Guest Suites - meeting site
  b.  Probably will make other hotel arrangements
  c.  Do not need accommodations

3.  Poster/Display Papers

  a.  Likely to present poster
  b.  Unlikely to present poster

4.  Sunday Evening Reception (6 - 9 pm)

  a.  Likely to attend
  b.  Unlikely to attend

5.  Monday and Tuesday Lunch - We are investigating providing a
buffet/cold-cut and salads type lunch on-site on Monday and Tuesday
for ~ $8 - $9 per day.

  a.  Likely to buy lunch (1 or both days)
  b.  Unlikely to buy lunch either day

immensely with preliminary planning at this time.  Questions or
variants thereof are likely to be repeated in some of the future
mailings.  Our apologies to those of you receiving multiple copies of
this announcement, since we are using several mailing lists which may
result in repetition of names.

                    DETAILS ABOUT THE MEETING SITE

The DoubleTree Guest Suites hotel, is located at 400 Soldiers Field
Road, Boston, Massachusetts 02134.  Phone (617) 783-0090, Fax (617)
783-0189.  Just off the Massachusetts Turnpike, DoubleTree is close to
Boston's museums, historical sites, universities and medical centers.
Some special points of interest located nearby are: Harvard Square,
House of Blues, J.F.K. Library, Legal Seafood, Museum of Fine Arts,
Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, and Quincy Market/Faneuil
Hall.  The hotel is 5 miles from Logan International Airport.

A special, reduced group rate of $149.00 per night for a single, and
$159.00 per night for a double has been arranged with the DoubleTree
Hotel.  Rates are subject to the current 5.0% state tax and 4.7%
city tax.   Among many fine features, each guest suite includes:
livingroom, bedroom and bath; refrigerator; complimentary use of
health club and indoor pool facilities; and courtesy hotel van to
locations throughout Cambridge and Downtown Boston.

Parking is available at the hotel parking garage.   Meeting
participants will be charged a special, reduced $5.00 parking fee for
the day, or each time the garage is entered.

Generally, hotels throughout the Cambridge and Boston area are booked
heavily  at this time of the year, so an early registration is
recommended.