fverify -- Verify that a FITS file conforms to the FITS Standard.
This task reads a FITS file (or a list of FITS files) and verifies that the format conforms to the specifications of the FITS Standard "Definition of the Flexible Image Transport System (FITS), Version 3.0, available on line at http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/. The following error or warning conditions will be flagged.
- Mandatory keyword not present or out of order - Mandatory keyword has wrong datatype or illegal value - END header keyword is not present - Sum of table column widths is inconsistent with NAXIS1 value - BLANK keyword present in image with floating-point datatype - TNULLn keyword present for floating-point binary table column - Bit column has non-zero fill bits or is not left adjusted(*) - ASCII TABLE column contains illegal value inconsistent with TFORMn(*) - Address to a variable length array not within the data heap(*) - Extraneous bytes in the FITS file following the last HDU
- Mandatory keyword values not expressed in fixed format - Mandatory keyword duplicated elsewhere in the header - Header contains illegal ASCII character (not ASCII 32 - 126) - Keyword name contains illegal character - Keyword value field has illegal format - Value and comment fields not separated by a slash character - END keyword not filled with blanks in columns 9 - 80 - Reserved keyword with wrong datatype or illegal value - EXTEND not present in the primary array if there are extensions - BLOCKED, if present, not among the first 36 keywords - XTENSION keyword in the primary array - Column related keyword (TFIELDS, TTYPEn,TFORMn, etc.) in an image - SIMPLE, EXTEND, or BLOCKED keyword in any extension - BSCALE, BZERO, BUNIT, BLANK, DATAMAX, DATAMIN keywords in a table - Image WCS keywords (CTYPEn, CRPIXn, CRVALn, etc.) in a table - Table WCS keywords (TCTYPn, TCRPXn, TCRVLn, etc.) in an image - TDIMn or THEAP keyword in an ASCII table - TBCOLn keyword in a Binary table - THEAP keyword in a binary table that has PCOUNT = 0 - XTENSION, TFORMn, TDISPn or TDIMn value contains leading space(s) - WCSAXES keyword appears after other WCS keywords - Index of any WCS keyword (CRPIXn, CRVALn, etc.) greater than value of WCSAXES - Index of any table column descriptor keyword (TTYPEn, TFORMn, etc.) greater than value of TFIELDS - TSCALn or TZEROn present for an ASCII, logical, or Bit column - TDISPn value is inconsistent with the column datatype - Length of a variable length array greater than the maximum length as given by the TFORMn keyword - ASCII table floating-point column value does not have decimal point(*) - ASCII table numeric column value has embedded space character - Logical column contains illegal value not equal to 'T', 'F', or 0(*) - Character string column contains non-ASCII text character(*) - Header fill bytes not all blanks (**) - Data fill bytes not all blanks in ASCII tables or all zeros in any other type of HDU (**) - Gaps between defined ASCII table columns contain characters with ASCII value > 127 (**)
- SIMPLE = F - Presence of deprecated keywords BLOCKED or EPOCH - 2 HDUs have identical EXTNAME, EXTVER, and EXTLEVEL values - EXTNAME, EXTVER, or EXTLEVEL keyword in primary array - BSCALE or TSCALn value = 0. - BLANK OR TNULLn value exceeds the legal range - TFORMn has 'rAw' format and r is not a multiple of w - DATE = 'dd/mm/yy' and yy is less than 10 (Y2K problem??) - Index of any WCS keyword (CRPIXn, CRVALn, etc.) greater than value of NAXIS, if the WCSAXES keyword is not present - Duplicated keyword (except COMMENT, HISTORY, blank, etc.) - Column name (TTYPEn) does not exist or contains characters other than letter, digit and underscore - Binary table has PCOUNT > 0, but no variable-length array columns - Calculated checksum inconsistent with CHECKSUM or DATASUM keyword(***) - Column names are not unique within the first 16 chars (****) - Column name does not begin with a letter character (****) - The HEASARC long string keyword convention is used without the recommended LONGSTRN keyword (****) (*) only checked when "testdata" is 'Yes' (**) only checked when "testdata" and "testfill" are 'Yes' (***) only checked when "testdata" and "tchksum" are 'Yes' (****) only checked when the "heasarc" is 'Yes'
Every HDU in the FITS file is checked in turn until the end of file is detected. A summary table is printed to the terminal (or to an optional output file) showing the structure of the FITS file. A listing of all the header keywords may also be produced. At the end of the verification, a summary of the warnings and errors in each HDU are printed.
The amount of information that is displayed can be controlled with the prhead, prstat and errreport parameters.
's' for "severe" - only report the most severe errors 'e' for "errors" - report all errors 'w' for "warnings" - report warnings as well as all errors
Any other letter will be treated the same as the default 'w'.
1. Verify the contents of the FITS file 'test.fits'.
ft> fverify test.fits
2. Verify the FITS file 'test.fits' and print all the header keywords:
ft> fverify test.fits prhead=yes
3. Check the FITS file 'test.fits' for only the most severe errors, ignoring less significant errors and warnings:
ft> ftverify test.fits errreport=s
4. Verify a list of FITS files. In this case 'filelist.txt' is an ASCII text file containing the list of files to be verified, one per line. Since prstat=no, only a single line of output will be written per file, stating whether the file passed or failed the verification.
ft> ftverify @filelist.txt prstat=no
If there are errors in a Data Unit, the fverify will quit the data test in the first occurrence of errors. So the error "When reading data..." can only be detected once. It should not be assumed that there is only one error in data.
ftverify, ftlist, ftchecksum, ofverify
"Definition of the Flexible Image Transport System (FITS)", Version 3.0, available on line at http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/