mekal - Create XSPEC table model files for the Mewe-Kaastra-Leidahl plasma
mekal filename tstart tend ntsteps efilenm density clobber
This tool runs the Mewe-Kaastra-Leidahl plasma emission code and
creates an XSPEC table file that can be used for fitting to observed
spectra. The mekal model in XSPEC uses such a file however this ftool
allows users of XSPEC to create their own version of the model with a
different grid of temperatures or different energy binsizes.
The temperature grid calculated is in ntsteps logarithmic steps
from tstart to tend (which are specified in keV).
The energies on which the models will be calculated are specified in a
text file whose name is given by the efilenm parameter. Each line in
this text file can specify an energy binning using the same format as
the XSPEC dummyrsp and energies commands. For instance,
0.1 10.0 1000 log
10.0 500.0 100 log
will create 1000 energy bins with logarithmic spacing between 0.1 and
10.0 keV followed by 100 bins with logarithmic spacing between 10 and
- filename [filename]
- The name of the output XSPEC table model file.
- tstart [float]
- The lowest temperature for the table (in keV).
- tend [float]
- The highest temperature for the table (in keV).
- ntsteps [int]
- The number of temperatures for the table.
- efilenm [filename]
- The name of the file describing the energies on which the model
spectra should be calculated.
- density [float]
- The plasma density (cm^-3). This is only used in the calculation
of high density effects and has no impact on the normalization.
- clobber [bool]
- If clobber = yes then overwrite the output file if a file of this
name already exists.
The mekal model. The atable model.