Tartarus Database -- Version 2

   THE TARTARUS DATABASE OF ASCA OBSERVATIONS OF AGN
		Version 2 - May 5 2000

 We are happy to announce the release of version 2 of the
 Tartarus database. This version of the database contains
 529 reduced sequences, and includes everything in the public
 archives up to May 3 2000. The main improvement over
 version 1 is a refinement of the source detection
 routine so that, even when the target AGN is very faint,
 it will be extracted correctly, even in the presence of a bright
 serendipitous source.

 For more details, please visit:

 http://tartarus.gsfc.nasa.gov/

 ACCESS VIA W3BROWSE:
 Tartarus pages and products will shortly be available via
 the  W3BROWSE interface.

 NOTE:
 Some sequences have failed the automatic processing, and some
 suffer contamination of source or background regions by a
 serendipitous source. Those sequences will be fixed as time
 allows, and we will give highest priority to fix sequences
 that have been requested. Please send requests/comments
 to our helpdesk at:

 tartarus@olegacy.gsfc.nasa.gov

 Best Regards,

 The Tartarus Team