ROSAT Status Report #171: ROSAT News 64

Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 11:07:59 +0200
Subject: ROSAT News 64

=                                                                       =
=              ROSAT NEWS No. 64     ---    1-SEP-1998                  =
=                                                                       =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=                 ROSAT Scientific Data Center at the                   =
=       Max-Planck-Institut fuer Extraterrestrische Physik (MPE)        =
=               Postfach 1603, D-85740 Garching, Germany                =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  e-mail address:   rosat_svc@mpe.mpg.de                               =
=  ROSAT Service Area (including ROSAT Data Archive):                   =
=   www address:  http://wave.xray.mpe.mpg.de/rosat                     =
=   ftp rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de      user: anonymous              =
=   interactive account (including ROSAT Result Archive):               =
=     telnet xray.mpe-garching.mpg.de  user: xray  no password          =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  XUV Center: GXUVDC@AIT.PHYSIK.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE                       =
=   WFC Archive access via telnet/ftp ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de       =
=                                user: xuv  (password: xuv_archive)     =
=   www address:  http://astro.uni-tuebingen.de/rosat.html              =

After several months of instable operations ROSAT has now learned to
"see" with its new eye, the Wide Field Camera Star tracker. Since Sunday
(30 August) morning we had stable pointings and yesterday (Monday) we
went back into the A0-8 observation time line. I thank all scientists
and engineers at the DLR Control Center GSOC in Oberpfaffenhofen,
in the German Aerospace Company (DASA) at Ottobrunn and Friedrichshafen,
at the University of Leicester and at the Max-Planck-Institut
fuer Extraterrestrische Physik for their excellent, competent
and persistent work leading to a successful recovery. We hope to
continue scientific operations for many months.
It will take a few weeks to analyse the performance in terms of pointing
accuracy/angular resolution and observational efficiency. If the
satellite continues to work well during the next two weeks we intend to
leave the deadline for A0-9 proposals where it is, namely on 30
September 1998. Please pay attention to the ROSAT News to be issued
around mid September 1998 which will give you an update of the situation
regarding A0-9.

Best regards,

Joachim Truemper