ATEL #1278: AGILE detection of a gamma-ray source coincident with Blazar 3C 454.3

We send this ATEL to you at the author's request.

The Astronomer's Telegram                   http://www.astronomerstelegram.org
ATEL #1278							     ATEL #1278

Title:		AGILE detection of a gamma-ray source coincident with Blazar
		3C 454.3
Author:	A. Chen, S. Vercellone, A. Giuliani, S. Mereghetti, A. Pellizzoni,
		F. Perotti, F. Fornari, M. Fiorini, P. Caraveo, A. Zambra (INAF/IASF
		Milano), A. Bulgarelli, F. Gianotti, M. Trifoglio, G. Di Cocco, C.
		Labanti, F. Fuschino, M. Marisaldi, M. Galli, (INAF/IASF Bologna),
		M. Tavani, G. Pucella, F. D'Ammando, V. Vittorini, E. Costa, M. Feroci,
		I. Donnarumma, L. Pacciani, E. Del Monte, F. Lazzarotto, P. Soffitta,
		Y. Evangelista, I. Lapshov, M. Rapisarda, A. Argan, A. Trois , G.
		De Paris (INAF/IASF Roma), G. Barbiellini, F. Longo (INFN Trieste),
		P. Picozza, A. Morselli (INFN Roma-2), M. Prest, E. Vallazza (Universita`
		dell'Insubria), P. Lipari, D. Zanello (INFN Roma-1), F. Mauri (INFN
		Pavia) and P. Giommi, C. Pittori, L. A. Antonelli, D. Gasparrini,
		S. Cutini, F. Verrecchia (ASDC) and L. Salotti (ASI)
Queries:	chen@iasf-milano.inaf.it
Posted:	14 Nov 2007;  10:07  UT
Subjects:	Gamma Ray, >GeV, AGN, Quasars

The AGILE satellite, currently in its Science Verification Phase, during
the Observing Block that started on 2007-11-02 12:00 UT, detected significant
gamma-ray emission from a source coincident with the blazar 3C 454.3.

A preliminary maximum likelihood analysis of the AGILE-GRID (Gamma-Ray
Imaging Detector) data obtained between 2007-11-02 13:50 UT and 2007-11-12
17:01 UT for photon energies above 100 MeV results in a detection significance
of about 5.4 sigma, slightly over our current, conservatively estimated
detection threshold.

Considering that the in-flight calibration of the GRID is still ongoing,
and despite the fact that the source was more than 40 degrees off-axis,
a region in the field of view whose calibration is still highly uncertain,
we encourage multi-frequency observations of the field of the gamma-ray
source detected by AGILE. The AGILE pointing of the Galactic plane region
that includes this gamma-ray source will continue until 2007-12-01 12:00
UT.

Password Certification:  Andrew Chen (chen@iasf-milano.inaf.it)
http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=1278