ATEL from AGILE

Multiwavelength Colleagues,

I call your attention to an ATEL from the AGILE group:

AGILE gamma-ray detection of a variable source in the Musca region

ATel #1394; C. Pittori, F. Verrecchia, P. Santolamazza, B. Preger, P. Giommi (ASDC), S. Vercellone, A. Chen, A. Giuliani, S. Mereghetti, A. Pellizzoni, F. Perotti, F. Fornari, M. Fiorini, P. Caraveo, A. Zambra (INAF/IASF Milano), A. Bulgarelli, F. Gianotti, M. Trifoglio, G. Di Cocco, C. Labanti, F. Fuschino, M. Marisaldi, M. Galli, (INAF/IASF Bologna), M. Tavani, G. Pucella, F. D'Ammando, V. Vittorini, E. Costa, M. Feroci, I.Donnarumma, L. Pacciani,E. Del Monte, F. Lazzarotto, P. Soffitta, Y. Evangelista, I. Lapshov, M. Rapisarda, A. Argan, A. Trois , G. De Paris (INAF/IASF Roma), G. Barbiellini, F. Longo (INFN Trieste), P. Picozza, A. Morselli (INFN Roma-2), M. Prest, E. Vallazza (Universita` dell'Insubria), P. Lipari, D. Zanello (INFN Roma-1), F. Mauri (INFN Pavia) and L. Salotti (ASI)
on 22 Feb 2008; 17:13 UT
Password Certification: Stefano Vercellone (stefano@iasf-milano.inaf.it)

Subjects: X-ray, Gamma Ray, Transients

The AGILE satellite, currently in a Cycle-1 pointing centered approximately in the Musca region, during the observing period that started on 2008-02-14 12:00 UT, detected significant and variable gamma-ray emission from the Galactic plane from a source positionally consistent with 3EG J1410-6147. The AGILE Quicklook Analysis (AQA) provides the source positional error box that is centered at Galactic coordinates l = 312.2 deg, b = -0.3 deg, and has a AQA radius of about 0.5 degree.

A preliminary maximum likelihood analysis of the AGILE-GRID (Gamma-Ray Imaging Detector) data obtained between 2008-02-21 06:00 UT and 2008-02-22 07:30 UT for photon energies above 100 MeV results in a detection significance of about 4 sigma. A preliminary analysis of the Super-AGILE data over the same time period and the same sky region does not show any counterpart in the 20-60 keV energy range. The 3-sigma upper limit on the one-day average flux is 25 mCrab.

We strongly encourage multi-frequency observations of the field of the gamma-ray source detected by AGILE in an active gamma-ray flaring state.