HEASARC News: American Institute of Physics request: Science Cafes

   Greetings!

   This fall, NOVA is premiering a new 4-part series, The Fabric of the
   Cosmos, based on Brian Greene's book of the same name. In conjunction
   with this series, the Society of Physics Students (SPS) is partnering
   with NOVA in an effort to encourage groups all around the country to
   host cosmic-themed science cafes, or Cosmic Cafes. I am writing because
   we are looking for enthusiastic, engaging scientists to be a part of
   these cafes.

   Science cafes are live--and lively--events that take place in casual
   settings such as pubs and coffeehouses, are open to everyone, and
   feature an engaging conversation with a scientist about a particular
   topic.

   There are many different models for science cafes, but most Cosmic
   Cafes will include a brief welcome by the host, a 2-3 minute clip from
   The Fabric of the Cosmos, a short (~15 minute) introduction to the
   topic by a scientist, and then a moderated discussion. While we are
   calling these "Cosmic Cafes", the scientist and moderator can select a
   more focused topic together.

   We are currently compiling a list of physicists from across the country
   that are willing to participate in a Cosmic Cafe this fall (most will
   be in October and November). This list will be made available to
   potential hosts via the website sciencecafes.org, produced by the WGBH
   Science Unit in association with Sigma Xi.

   If you are interested in participating in a Cosmic Cafe, please
   complete the form located at:
   http://www.spsnational.org/partnerships/fabric-of-the-cosmos/science_cafes.htm

   Thank you, and please contact me if you have any questions. In
   addition, if you know of other engaging scientists that might be
   interested, please pass along this invitation.

   Sincerely,
   Kendra Redmond
   SPS Program Coordinator & Assistant Editor
   American Institute of Physics
   One Physics Ellipse
   College Park, MD 21043
   (301) 209-3047
   http://www.spsnational.org

--- End forwarded message ---
--
A service of the High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center (HEASARC)
NASA/GSFC

Please do not reply to this message.
Questions or comments should go to:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/Feedback