ROSAT Status Report #165: Input for NASA Senior Review Solicited

Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 14:46:51 -0400
Subject: Input for NASA Senior Review Solicited

Input for NASA Senior Review Solicited
======================================

Every two years, NASA sponsors a "Senior Review" of its operating
astrophysics missions.  The purpose of this review is to determine the
funding priorities amongst these missions, judged on the basis of "science
per dollar."  ROSAT has been included in the past three Senior Review
cycles, and has fared extremely well in each.

The US ROSAT Science Data Center has just received its "invitation" to
submit a proposal to the 1998 Senior Review.  A strong proposal is vital to
the continued funding of ROSAT in the US.  In turn, the key to a strong
proposal is inclusion of the most significant scientific results obtained
by ROSAT during the past two years.  As most of these have not yet been
published, we in the project have to turn to you, our Guest Observers, to
provide us summaries of your latest results.  Please send a brief summary
of any recent ROSAT result, whether recently published, presented at a
conference or still in the works.  While a  couple of paragraphs will do,
feel free to send preprints or drafts of papers.  Additionally, if you have
any nice images, color or monochrome, please let us know, and we'll arrange
an ftp transfer.  We are especially interested in results utilizing the
HRI, as a justification of another mission extension depends upon exclusive
utilization of that instrument.  Send your contributions to Rob Petre, the
US ROSAT Project Scientist (rob@hatrack.gsfc.nasa.gov).  Let us know if you
would like the result treated as confidential, and we will honor your
request.

Please remember that the continuation of the ROSAT program depends on
demonstrating that ROSAT is still capable of making major scientific
contributions, and that there is still scientific interest by the community
in performing ROSAT observations.  A substantial response to this request
provides strong evidence in that direction.

Thank you for your help in making ROSAT a tremendous success.