RASSBSC - ROSAT All-Sky Survey: Bright Sources
This catalog was derived from the all-sky survey performed during the first half year of the ROSAT mission in 1990-1991; 18,811 sources are catalogued, with a limiting ROSAT PSPC countrate of 0.05 cts/s in the energy band 0.1- 2.4 keV. The sources have a detection likelihood of at least 15 and contain at least 15 source photons. At a brightness limit of 0.1 cts/s (8547 sources), the catalog represents a sky coverage of 92 percent.
The ROSAT name, the position in equatorial coordinates, the positional error, the source countrate and error, the background countrate, exposure time, hardness-ratios HR1 and HR2 and errors, extent and likelihood of extent, and likelihood of detection are provided for each source. For 94 percent of the sources, visual inspection confirmed the results of the standard processing with respect to existence and position; the remaining 6 percent were reanalyzed and appropriately flagged. Broadband images are available for a subset of the flagged sources.
The ROSAT all-sky survey bright source catalogue. Voges W., Aschenbach B., Boller T., Braeuninger H., Briel U., Burkert W., Dennerl K., Englhauser J., Gruber R., Haberl F., Hartner G., Hasinger G., Kuerster M., Pfeffermann E., Pietsch W., Predehl P., Rosso C., Schmitt J.H.M.M., Truemper J., Zimmermann H.U. <Astron. Astrophys. 349, 389 (1999)> =1999A&A...349..389V
The ROSAT All-Sky Survey source designation.
The Right Ascension in 1950 coordinates.
The Declination in 1950 coordinates.
The source RA (displayed in the specified equinox).
The source Dec (displayed in the specified equinox).
The Galactic longitude of the source.
The Galactic latitude of the source.
The error on the position given in arcseconds. (This includes a 6-arcsecond systematic error.)
The new data flag is a 4-character string composite of 4 flags (RIV?), each indicating additional screening criteria.
R: source counts and extracted radius recalculated I: broad band image available (images are not available at HEASARC) V: variability flag (not populated) ?: dummy flagEach character (flag) in the string can have the following values: 'T' for true, 'F' or '_' for false, and '.' for 'not used'.
The source count rate with vignetting corrected.
The error on count rate vignetting corrected. If this field is set to zero, that means the error has not been determined.
The background count rate, vignetting corrected, in counts/sec/arcmin2.
The exposure time of field, in seconds.
The hardness ratio defined as HR1=(B-A)/(B+A), where A are the counts in the PHA range 11-41 and B are the counts in the PHA range 52-201.
The hardness ratio 1 error.
The hardness ratio defined as HR2=(D-C)/(D+C), where C are the counts in the PHA range 52-90 and D are the counts in the PHA range 91-201.
The hardness ratio 2 error.
The amount is specified, by which the source image exceeds the point spread function. The value is given in arcsec.
The likelihood of source extent. If the value is greater than 9999, it has been set to 9999.
The likelihood of source detection algorithm. If the value is greater than 9999, it has been set to 9999.
The source extraction radius in arcsec. If the value is greater than 9999 (e.g. Vela SNR), it has been set to 9999.
The priority flag is a string composite of 6 characters, each indicating the following flags:
M-broad L-broad M-hard L-hard M-soft L-softSliding window detection history using either the background map (M) or the local background (B): 0 = no detection, 1 = detection.
The PHA range with the highest detection likelihood.
The telescope vignetting correction (1 = on-axis; lower than 1 = off-axis)
Date when source was included. Format: yymmdd; 000000: removed.
Date when source properties were changed. Format: yymmdd; 000000: not changed.
Identification number of the SASS field. An overview of the field structure is available at the URL http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/rosat/survey/rass-bsc/sup/psplit.ps.gz.
The SASS source number (MASOL number) in the SASS field.