Browse
this table...

SPTMM87SD - South Polar Telescope 87-Square Degree Survey Millimeter Source Catalog

HEASARC
Archive

Overview

This table contains the results of an 87 deg2 point-source survey centered at RA = 5h30m, Dec = -55o (J2000.0) taken with the South Pole Telescope at 1.4 and 2.0 mm wavelengths with arcminute resolution and milli-Jansky (mJy) depth. Based on the ratio of flux in the two bands, the authors separate the detected sources into two populations, one consistent with synchrotron emission from active galactic nuclei (AGN) and the other consistent with thermal emission from dust. In the reference paper, the authors present source counts for each population from 11 to 640 mJy at 1.4 mm and from 4.4 to 800 mJy at 2.0 mm. The 2.0-mm counts are dominated by synchrotron-dominated sources across the reported flux range; the 1.4-mm counts are dominated by synchrotron-dominated sources above ~15 mJy and by dust-dominated sources below that flux level. The authors detect 141 synchrotron-dominated sources and 47 dust-dominated sources at signal-to-noise ratio S/N > 4.5 in at least one band. All of the most significantly detected members of the synchrotron-dominated population are associated with sources in previously published radio catalogs. Some of the dust-dominated sources are associated with nearby (z << 1) galaxies whose dust emission is also detected by the Infrared Astronomy Satellite (IRAS). However, most of the bright, dust-dominated sources have no counterparts in any existing catalogs. The authors argue that these sources represent the rarest and brightest members of the population commonly referred to as sub-millimeter galaxies (SMGs).

During the 2008 observing season, the 960-element South Pole Telescope (SPT) camera included detectors sensitive to radiation within bands centered at approximately 1.4 mm, 2.0 mm, and 3.2 mm (220 GHz, 150 GHz, and 95 GHz). Result in this reference paper are based on 607 hr of observing time, using only the 1.4-mm and 2.0-mm data from the 87 deg2 portion of the field that was mapped with near-uniform coverage. Main-lobe beams were measured using the brightest sources in the field and were adequately fit by two-dimensional Gaussians with FWHM equal to 1.05 and 1.15 arcminutes at 1.4 mm and 2.0 mm, respectively. The typical rms of the filtered 2.0-mm and 1.4-mm maps used for source candidate identification (shown in Figures 1 and 2, respectively, of the reference paper) is 1.3 mJy at 2.0 mm and 3.4 mJy at 1.4 mm. Detections in both bands are listed in the final catalog as a single source if they are offset <30 arcseconds between the two bands. For sources detected in both bands, the authors adopt the position of the more significant detection. The argue that they are far enough above the confusion limit that this simple and intuitive method is adequate. For sources detected in only one band, the authors use the flux in the cleaned map for the second band at the position of the detection. This table lists all 3,496 sources above 3 sigma in either map.


Catalog Bibcode

2010ApJ...719..763V

References

Extragalactic millimeter-wave sources in South Pole Telescope survey data:
source counts, catalog, and statistics for an 87 square-degree field.
    Vieira J.D., Crawford T.M., Switzer E.R., Ade P.A.R., Aird K.A.,
    Ashby M.L.N., Benson B.A., Bleem L.E., Brodwin M., Carlstrom J.E.,
    Chang C.L., Cho H.-M., Crites A.T., de Haan T., Dobbs M.A., Everett W.,
    George E.M., Gladders M., Hall N.R., Halverson N.W., High F.W.,
    Holder G.P., Holzapfel W.L., Hrubes J.D., Joy M., Keisler R., Knox L.,
    Lee A.T., Leitch E.M., Lueker M., Marrone D.P., McIntyre V., McMahon J.J.,
    Mehl J., Meyer S.S., Mohr J.J., Montroy T.E., Padin S., Plagge T.,
    Pryke C., Reichardt C.L., Ruhl J.E., Schaffer K.K., Shaw L., Shirokoff E.,
    Spieler H.G., Stalder B., Staniszewski Z., Stark A.A., Vanderlinde K.,
    Walsh W., Williamson R., Yang Y., Zahn O., Zenteno A.
   <Astrophys. J., 719, 763-783 (2010)>
   =2010ApJ...719..763V

Provenance

This table was created by the HEASARC in October 2017 based on an electronic version of Table 5 from the reference paper which was obtained from the CDS as their catalog J/ApJ/719/763 file table5.dat.

Parameters

Name
The SPT Survey source name, being a J2000.0 position-based source designation registered with the CDS Dictionary of Nomenclature of Celestial Objects, viz., 'SPT-S JHHMMSS+DDMM.m', where the prefix stands for 'South Polar Telescope - Survey'.

RA
The Right Ascension of the mm source in the selected equinox. This was given in J2000 decimal degrees to a precision of 10-3 degrees in the original table.

Dec
The Declination of the mm source in the selected equinox. This was given in J2000 decimal degrees to a precision of 10-3 degrees in the original table.

LII
The Galactic Longitude of the mm source.

BII
The Galactic Latitude of the mm source.

SNR_2p0_Mm
The detection significance (S/N) of the mm source in the 2.0-mm band.

Raw_Flux_2p0_Mm
The raw flux density (Sraw, uncorrected for flux boosting) in the 2.0-mm band, in mJy.

Flux_2p0_Mm
The de-boosted flux density (S) of the mm source encompassing 50% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the 2.0 mm flux density, in mJy, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Flux_2p0_Mm_Pos_Err
The upper uncertainty (68% probability enclosed, or 1 sigma for the equivalent normal distribution) of the de-boosted flux density of the mm source encompassing 84% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the 2.0 mm flux density, in mJy, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Flux_2p0_Mm_Neg_Err
The lower uncertainty (16% probability enclosed, or 1 sigma for the equivalent normal distribution) of the de-boosted flux density of the mm source encompassing 84% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the 2.0 mm flux density, in mJy, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

SNR_1p4_Mm
The detection significance (S/N) of the mm source in the 1.4-mm band.

Raw_Flux_1p4_Mm
The raw flux density (Sraw, uncorrected for flux boosting) in the 1.4-mm band, in mJy.

Flux_1p4_Mm
The de-boosted flux density (S) of the mm source encompassing 50% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the 1.4 mm flux density, in mJy, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Flux_1p4_Mm_Pos_Err
The upper uncertainty (68% probability enclosed, or 1 sigma for the equivalent normal distribution) of the de-boosted flux density of the mm source encompassing 84% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the 1.4 mm flux density, in mJy, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Flux_1p4_Mm_Neg_Err
The lower uncertainty (16% probability enclosed, or 1 sigma for the equivalent normal distribution) of the de-boosted flux density of the mm source encompassing 84% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the 1.4 mm flux density, in mJy, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Raw_Spectral_Index
The estimated raw spectral index, alpharaw, from the raw flux in each band of the 2 - 1.4 mm spectrum of the mm source, where alpha is the slope of the (assumed) power law behavior of the source flux as a function of wavelength, lambda, viz., Sraw ~ lambda-alpha. The authors have set alpharaw to -99.0 for cases where the raw 1.4-mm flux density is negative, and to +99.0 for cases where the raw 2.0-mm flux density is negative.

Spectral_Index
The estimated "de-boosted" spectral index, alpha, from the deboosted flux in each band of the 2 - 1.4 mm spectrum of the mm source, where alpha is the slope of the (assumed) power law behavior of the source flux as a function of wavelength, lambda, viz., S ~ lambda-alpha. this value encompasses 50% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the spectral index, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Spectral_Index_Pos_Err
The upper uncertainty (68% probability enclosed, or 1 sigma for the equivalent normal distribution) of the de-boosted spectral index of the mm source encompassing 84% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the spectral index, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Spectral_Index_Neg_Err
The lower uncertainty (68% probability enclosed, or 1 sigma for the equivalent normal distribution) of the de-boosted spectral index of the mm source encompassing 16% of the cumulative posterior probability distribution for the spectral index, as estimated using the procedure described in Section 4 of the reference paper.

Sippd_Fraction_Over_1p66
The fraction of the spectral index posterior probability distribution (P) above the threshold value of 1.66. A higher value of P means that the source is more likely to be dust-dominated.

Broad_Type
The source classification (sync[hrotron-dominated] or [dust]- dominated), based on whether P (alpha > 1.66) is greater than or less than 0.5, as follows:

    sync = sources with flat or decreasing brightness with decreasing wavelength,
           consistent with synchrotron emission from active galactic nuclei
           (AGNs, typically S ~ lambda^~1^);
    dust = sources with increasing brightness with decreasing wavelength,
           consistent with thermal emission (typically S ~ lambda^~-3^)
           from dust-enshrouded star-forming galaxies.
  

SPT_Sumss_Offset
The angular distance (in arcseconds) of the mm source from the nearest source in the 36 cm (843 MHz) Sydney University Molonglo Sky Survey (SUMSS; Mauch et al. 2003, MNRAS, 342, 1117). There are 2,731 SUMSS sources in the SPT survey area. For a 1-arcminute association radius, there is a 2.7% chance of a random association for each SPT source.

SPT_RASS_Offset
The angular distance (in arcseconds) of the mm source from the nearest source in the ROSAT All-Sky Survey (RASS) Bright Source Catalog (RASSBSC, Voges et al. 1999, A&A, 349, 389) or Faint Source Catalog (RASSFSC, Voges et al. 2000, CDS Cat. IX/29/). There are 1,441 RASS sources in the SPT survey area. For a 1-arcminute association radius, there is a 1.4% chance of a random association for each SPT source.

SPT_IRAS_Offset
The angular distance (in arcseconds) of the mm source from the nearest source in the IRAS Faint-Source Catalog (IRAS-FSC; Moshir et al. 1992, CDS Cat. II/156A/). There are 493 IRAS sources in the SPT survey area. For a 1-arcminute association radius, there is a 0.8% chance of a random association for each SPT source.


Contact Person

Questions regarding the SPTMM87SD database table can be addressed to the HEASARC User Hotline.
Page Author: Browse Software Development Team
Last Modified: Thursday, 05-Oct-2017 11:35:10 EDT