ROSAT Status Report #177: ROSAT NEWS 68

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:56:18 +0100
Subject: ROSAT NEWS No.68

=                                                                       =
=              ROSAT NEWS No. 68     ---    22-Dec-1998                 =
=                                                                       =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=                 ROSAT Scientific Data Center at the                   =
=       Max-Planck-Institut fuer Extraterrestrische Physik (MPE)        =
=               Postfach 1603, D-85740 Garching, Germany                =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  e-mail address:   rosat_svc@mpe.mpg.de                               =
=  ROSAT Service Area (including ROSAT Data Archive):                   =
=   www address:  http://wave.xray.mpe.mpg.de/rosat                     =
=   ftp rosat_svc.mpe-garching.mpg.de      user: anonymous              =
=   interactive account (including ROSAT Result Archive):               =
=     telnet xray.mpe-garching.mpg.de  user: xray  no password          =
=-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  XUV Center: GXUVDC@AIT.PHYSIK.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE                       =
=   WFC Archive access via telnet/ftp ait.physik.uni-tuebingen.de       =
=                                user: xuv  (password: xuv_archive)     =
=   www address:  http://astro.uni-tuebingen.de/rosat.html              =

       The German ROSAT Data Center Team at MPE wishes all of you a

                                                    *

                                                    *
            MERRY   CHRISTMAS                      /*\
                                                  **|**
                                              .  */@**\*  .
                                              | ***/*\*** |
            AND  A                            ***/****@\***
                                            .  *****|*****  .
                                            | **/*@*****\** |
            HAPPY  &  SUCCESSFUL            *****/*****\*****
                                              */****|*@**\*
                                          .  ***/**@****\***  .
                                          | **@***/*|*\****** |
            YEAR  1999                    ***/***********@*\***
                                        **/* */** **|** **\* *\**
                                         @      @  |||  @      @
                                               ___//|\\___

The ROSAT observation campaign, started on December 8 with the PSPC in
focus, has been terminated successfully despite numerous malfunctions of
both the attitude control system and the PSPC operating system. A total
of 21 objects were observed within 68 timeline slots, each of about
1000 sec duration. Contrary to our initial expectations the gas has not
yet been completely used up.

On Friday, December 18, ROSAT was finally set into safemode, with its
solar panels facing the sun thus ensuring its energy supply and safe
telemetry connection. ROSAT will stay in this mode until January 1999.

Then we hope to activate the satellite again to carry out technical
investigations with the ROSAT HRI and WFC instruments as proposed by our
US and UK collaborators. Afterwards the PSPC will be switched on for
the last time for observations of a few interesting X-ray sources until
its gas is completely exhausted.