GSFC XMM-Newton GOF Status Report #059: Budget/SAS/XSA Information

1) XMM-Newton AO-2 Budget Process Open

2) GSFC SAS Workshop

3) XMM-Newton Science Archive (XSA) Issues

1) XMM-Newton AO-2 Budget Process Open

The budget process for accepted AO-2 science proposals was opened
26 August with proposal a due date of 18 October 2002.  The budget
process is open to PIs from US institutions as well as Co-Is from
US institutions where the PI is at a foreign institution.  Further
information can be found at:

http://xmm.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/xmmhp_prop_tools.html

Our apologies for the problematic release of the "Dear Colleague"
letter from Lou Kaluzienski.  Due to a flaw in our e-mail script,
the first recipient on the list got one copy of the letter, the
second two, and so on.

2) GSFC SAS Workshop

                     First US SAS Workshop

THE XMM-Newton Guest Observer Facility at GSFC is offering the first
SAS workshop. The workshop will be held from Monday, 4 November
(noon) to Tuesday, 5 November 2002 (5 PM).

 The workshop will consist of a brief introduction about XMM-Newton
capabilities and direct analysis of the data using the SAS
software. Users are encouraged to come with their own data and if
possible, a laptop with SAS correctly installed. We can provide some
support in checking your set-up before the start of the workshop at
noon on Monday, but we cannot install the software on each
participant's laptop.

The attendance will be limited to 10 participants so we urge you to
register early. There is no registration fee and participants will be
responsible for their lodging and meals. We can help you in finding a
nearby hotel if you so desire. Depending on the demand, we may
organize another workshop right afterward (on November 6 and 7).

Due to increased security measures, every visitor needs a badge at the
entry of GSFC. In order to allow sufficient time for the badge
processing, no one will be allowed to register after Oct 21 for US
citizens and Oct 14 for non-US citizens (including legal
residents). Foreign nationals (including legal residents) who wish to
attend are asked to contact us as soon as possible.

3) XMM-Newton Science Archive (XSA) Issues

We have heard of some problems people may be having downloading
archive data via the XSA Java interface. If this is the case for
you, would you please let us know. To further address this issue,
we would need to know:

1. What web browser are you using.
    i.e. Netscape, IE, Mozilla, Opera, etc...

2. What operating system you use.
    i.e. Solaris, Windows, Mac, Linux, OSF, etc...

3. What version/flavor of that operating system.
    i.e. Solaris 5.6, Win 95/98/XP, Redhat 7.2, Mac OS9/OSX, etc...

One possible problem/solution for Mac users is that you are not
using a recent version of Java. This is addressed in the XSA FAQ at:
http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/xsa/standalone/xsa_faq.html

You can find newer versions of the Java plugin and Java for Mac at:
http://www.mozilla.org/oji/MRJPlugin.html
http://www.apple.com/java/

--
A service of the XMM-Newton GOF, NASA/GSFC

Please do not reply to this email.
Questions or comments should go to:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/Feedback