GSFC XMM-Newton GOF Status Report #130: AO-6 Budget/Useful Information

NASA/GSFC XMM-Newton GOF

Contents:

1) AO-6 Call for Budget Proposals
2) AO-6 Stage II XRPS Submissions
3) Final Reports
4) X-ray astronomy school
5) Please Alert the GOF to Significant XMM-Newton Results
6) New AASTeX Features

1) *****  AO-6 Call for Budget Proposals

The NASA XMM-Newton Call for AO-6 Budget Proposals is now open
with a closing date of 16 March 2006.  Please see the information
at:

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/xmmhp_prop_tools.html

This call also includes AO-5 C-target proposals where observations
have been scheduled.  GOs with such proposals should follow the
same instructions as above.  Please note that the proposal process
has changed somewhat from last time.

2) *****  AO-5 Stage II XRPS Submissions

Please note that for the XMM-Newton program, Stage II proposal
submission IS NOT the budget submission.  The ESA XMM-Newton SOC
uses "Stage II" to refer to the submission of further observation
details through XRPS to enable the scheduling of observations.
The period for completing submission of the Stage II information
is listed in the time allocation notification received by successful
PIs.

3)  *****  Final Reports

This is a reminder that holders of XMM-Newton GO grants are obligated
to submit final reports at the end of the grant period.  Instructions
for doing so are contained in the grant package and at:

http://heasarcdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/docs/grant-report.html

Please note that there is a standard form which must be used for the
submission which can be found at the above web site.

4)  *****  X-ray astronomy school

Preliminary announcement: We are in the process of organizing the
2007 US X-ray Astronomy School, which will be held August 6-10th in
Washington DC.  This school is designed to assist graduate students,
post-docs, and other researchers interested in learning both the
physics and basic data analysis involved in X-ray astronomy.  More
information will be available shortly at:
http://xrayschool.gsfc.nasa.gov.

5)  *****  Please Alert the GOF to Significant XMM-Newton Results

Unlike other major astronomical facilities, the US XMM-Newton team
does not have a group whose primary mission is to extract exciting new
results from astro-ph and the published literature.  As a result we
must ask observers to alert us to any interesting new results.  NASA
has a team of public affairs officers who will help arrange appropriate
publicity, but they can only go to work once they know a result is
available.  Please remember that the American public strongly supports
astronomy in part because they enjoy seeing the fruit of our work!
Please contact us through the helpdesk:

xmmhelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov

6)  *****  New AASTeX Features

We would like to draw attention to some new facilities in AASTeX
V5.2 which allow authors to "link" their papers with particular
observatories and datasets; see:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AAS/AASTeX/

for detailed information about Data Set & Object Linking, as well as
the new Facility Keywords.  As an example, to note that your ApJ, AJ,
or ApJS paper uses XMM-Newton data from the EPIC and RGS detectors,
simply add the line:

"{\it Facility:} \facility{XMM (EPIC, RGS)}"

to the text in a separate paragraph following the acknowledgments.
Using this will greatly assist us and the ADS in finding papers
which use XMM-Newton data.

In addition, authors are asked to always include the ObsIDs of XMM
data used in any paper; this information is then propagated to the
ADS as the "On-Line Data" link.  AASTeX has a new facility to include
this information in an electronically-trackable method as well; for
example:

\dataset{ADS/XMM\#0109540101}

would indicate that the paper used data from ObsID 0109540101.  This
keyword can be used in the text and will result in a direct link made
in the electronic version of the paper to the XMM archive.  We
strongly encourage authors to use this facility.

--
A service of the XMM-Newton GOF, NASA/GSFC

Please do not reply to this email.
Questions or comments should go to:
http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/Feedback