XMM-NEWTON PROPOSAL & PLANNING TOOLS
IMPORTANT - READ THIS
Please note that final reports for XMM-Newton GO grants are required upon completion of the grant award period. Additional instructions for submitting final grant recipient reports, as well as a required form, can be found here. Yearly progress reports are also required.
AO-13 funding through the GOF is available only for US PI science proposals accepted at the A or B levels. All qualifying PIs have been notified. Lead US Co-Is of foreign PI proposals (A and B levels, but NOT at the C level) may apply for funding through the ADAP. For the analysis of all XMM data which are no longer proprietary, funding proposals may be submitted through the ADAP.
AO-13 Call For Budget Proposals
AO-13 Budget Proposal Schedule:
|6 June 2014||Release of AO-13 NASA GO Budget Announcement (managed by the GSFC GOF)|
|25 July 2014, 4:30 PM EDT||Closure of AO-13 Budget Submission Process|
|September 2014||Results of AO-13 Budget Process Announced|
NASA has released a call for budget proposals in support of accepted XMM-Newton AO-13 Catagory A and B US PI science proposals. The budget process is open only to guest observers whose primary affiliation is with a US institution.
The current schedule for the review of the budget proposals is listed above. Note, however, that the dates of events are subject to change.
Useful pages and sites:
- The NASA XMM-Newton AO-13 Budget Solicitation Letter from Dr. Stefan Immler for budget proposals
- The Budget Proposal document -- the longer description of the budget process
- The Budget Guide document -- An ABC Guide for submitting budget proposals
- The Budget Proposal Supplement -- A FAQ page for the budget process
- The Budget Form Explanation -- Detailed instructions for filling out the budget form
- The ARK RPS system
- ARK RPS Help
- Documents and Forms (FTP and HTML) -- Links to budget-related forms
- The NASA XMM-Newton AO-13 "Dear Colleague" Letter from Dr. Louis Kaluzienski for science proposals
- The XMM-Newton GOF at NASA/GSFC -- home page for the GOF with project related information and links
- The XMM-Newton Mission Description -- a short introduction to the XMM-Newton
- The NASA Office of Space Science "Guidebook for Proposers" -- The main NASA documentation for proposals
Important Notes, Changes, and Guidelines for AO-13:
Changes for AO-13:
The RPS Budget Form has been modified requiring new entries.
1) The form now requests a "Performance Period Start Date". It is prefilled with the value "PR Release Date (earliest possible start date)". Leave this value unchanged if you want the funding to begin as soon as allowed. If, on the other hand, you want to begin the grant's "Period of Performance" (PoP) later, but no later than 30 September 2015, enter that date.
2) Yearly Salary - This is now JUST the dollar amount of salary for one full year of work (i.e., 1 FTE). This amount will be scaled by the FTE column entry, added to the scaled Yearly Fringe Benefit amount, and summed with the other Labor rows for the "Total Direct Labor" entry.
3) Yearly Fringe Benefits - This is the dollar amount of fringe benefits for one full year of work (i.e., 1 FTE). This amount will be scaled by the FTE column entry, added to the scaled Yearly Salary amount, and summed with the other Labor rows for the "Total Direct Labor" entry.
4) Indirect Rate Percent - This is the percentage overhead that your institution charges for indirect costs.
Changes for AO-11 which are still in force:
- There are two new assurance forms that are required for processing of government grants. One says that no funds will be made available to ACORN as well as that the recipient has no outstanding federal tax liabilities. The other states that no funds will be used to further any collaborations with Chinese organizations. These new forms can be found with other relevant ones through FTP or HTML.
Changes for AO-10 which are still in force:
- Proposals will no longer be submitted electronically. Instead, a CD
containing three PDF files must be submitted with the paper hardcopy. The
required files are:
- the ARK RPS-generated PDF file containing the Cover Page, General Form, and Budget Form
- the budget justification, support form, and CV, combined into one PDF file
- the four or five page scientific justification from the ESA observation proposal
- Suggestions for concatenating PDF files are reproduced here from the RPS website.
Some missions may require that a single PDF be uploaded as a requirement for a successful proposal submission. If you have multiple documents that need to be combined in order to create a single PDF, here are some suggestions: First, if the documents are not already in PDF format, it's best to combine them in some word processor first before generating your PDF. If that's not possible, then you will need to use some software to concatenate PDFs. There are many free software packages available for doing this. We recommend doing a web search for the latest information, but here are some possibilities:
- MergePDF.net and PDFConverter.com — free web services; no software to install.
- Preview (in Mac OS X 10.6.x or higher), Combine PDFs, PDFLab — Mac OS X applications
- ArduoPDFMerger, PrimoPDF, PDFCreator — Windows applications
- pdftk — Linux (and other platforms) command line tool
- We make no endorsement of the above software; these are simply some tools that we found in our web searching.
Changes for AO-7 which are still in force:
- By instructions from NASA HQ, subgrants are no longer allowed. Funds to Co-Is at secondary institutions must be routed through the primary institution.
- For those with appointments at both US and foreign institutions the fraction of US and foreign support and time spent in each country must be listed in the budget narrative. This may affect the fair-share estimate. Also, the appointment with the US institution should be expected to continue.
- Charging of home/home office internet connection to the grant is not allowed.
- Charging of professional association dues (e.g., AAS dues) to the grant is not allowed.
- Charging of travel expenses of foreign Co-Is to the grant is not allowed (e.g., you can't bring your European colleague to the US for the collaboration).
- CV's are no longer optional, they are required. The CV must also include a list of at least your most recent and important publications.
- For any requested travel, specific costs must be listed in the budget justification, even if the event is subject to change. (E.g., 2008 Winter AAS meeting, Austin, Texas, Airfare $XXX, Hotel $XXX, Registration $XXX, Board $XXX, Ground Transportation $XXX, Incidentals $XXX.
- Your institution's Cage Code is required on the budget form.
Help DesksThe XMM-Newton Helpdesk at the SOC provides a web-based tool to send technical queries to mission specialists and programmers, and also search the Helpdesk archive.
Mail the XMM-Newton US GOF directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for all other XMM-Newton questions.
Download the Adobe Acrobat (PDF) Reader.
If you have any questions concerning XMM-Newton send e-mail to email@example.com