List of Suzaku FTOOLS Version 20
Updated 2013 Mar 5
- Version 20 includes an update to
xisrmfgen that improves the Si K edge region calibration for
XIS1, an update to xisgtigen that improves treatment of windowed
or psum mode in generating GTIs to exclude telemetry saturation,
as well as a couple of bug fixes.
- Version 19 includes the new tool,
xisarfgen, a new version of xisrmfgen modified for
the Psum modes, as well as a host of minor bug fixes. In particular,
the library libaste_hxd was fixed for bad CHECKSUM in output,
and to remove stray TIMEDEL keyword from primary extension of output
- Version 18 includes the new XIS contamination
model in xissimarfgen and xiscontamicalc, new and updated
WAM analysis tools hxdwampipeline, hxdbstjudge, and
hxdmkwamlc, fixes the help file in hxdarfgen, and
the new attitude fine-tuning tool aeattcor2 and the pile-up
fraction estimation tool pileest (in the HEASARC
- Version 17 fixes minor bugs in hxdpinxblc, hxdpinxbpi,
hxdgsoxblc and hxdgsoxbpi, and updated the XIS
discriminator/threshold configuration list in aepipeline.
- Version 16 includes updated tools
corresponding to the new gain calibration of HXD/GSO.
- Version 15 fixes minor bugs in hxdpinxbpi and hxdgsoxbpi.
- Version 14 includes new tools,
aepipeline, hxdpinxblc, hxdpinxbpi,
hxdgxoxblc and hxdgsoxbpi, a new functionality
in xistime, and a bug fix of libaste_hxd. The last
fixes buffer over-runs in writing HISTORY/COMMENT keywords in the
library used by HXD tools.
- Version 13 includes an update to hxdmkgainhist_gso to use
xspec 12 for fitting.
- Version 12 includes a new tool,
xisllegtigen, updates to the CTI correction formula
(particularly for window mode) in xispi, and a host
of minor bug fixes.
- Version 11 includes a bug fix for
hxdbsttime, a tool that is not used in the analysis of PI data.
- Version 10 includes updates to
hxdmkwamspec and hxdbsttime (not used in the
analysis of PI data) and minor bug fixes.
- Version 9 includes a bug fix for
- Version 8 includes an update of
ray-tracing library, compatible with an upcoming release of
new CALDB files, and bug fixes.
- Version 7 includes new tools
xisnxbgen, xis5x5to3x3, and aemkpinudhk,
and bug fixes, notably for hxdpi and xissimarfgen
- Version 6 includes bug fixes for
aeattcor, xissimarfgen, xistime,
and hxdtime. Otherwise, it is identical with
- New in Version 5: All tasks support direct
CALDB query - that is, calibration data can be retrieved from the
CALDB without specifying the explicit path to the specific calibration
file, by typing "CALDB."
All general tasks (aeaspect, aeattcor, aebarycen, aecoordcalc, aemkehk, and aetimecalc) search the leap second file in the Heasoft data directory if leapfile=AUTO
- Updated in Version 5: HXD well event file
format has been updated in Version 2 processing. Several tools
require this new format. A script is available for converting
Version 1.X processed HXD event data to Version 2 format.
- aeattcor (New in Version 5; bug fix in Version 6)
- Corrects Euler angles in attitude file for the "thermal wobbling." A bug in calculating the SGM_YOFF keyword was corrected in Version 6.
- aeattcor2 (New in Version 18)
- Creates a corrected Suzaku attitude file based on the mean event positions as a function of time.
- aebarycen (Updated in Version 8)
- Applies Barycenter correction to Suzaku EVENT and/or HK files; now ignores TIME=0.0.
- aeaspect (Updated in Version 5)
- Calculates mean satellite Euler angles for Suzaku. Now copies the NOM_PNT keyword from attitude file.
- Coordinate Calculator for Suzaku.
- aemkehk (Updated in Version 5)
- Creates an extended HK file from attitude and orbit files. Now adds "COR2" column in output .ehk file (new ridigity CALDB file required, to be specified via the new parameter "rigidty"); quits immediately if no orbit or attitude information is available;
- aemkreg (Updated in Version 12)
- Generates a ds9 format region file for given satellite Euler angles. Rough XIS and HXD fields of view are drawn by default. Starting with Version 12, draws FWHM and full FOV for PIN and GSO, and also fixed the HXD FOV to be centered on HXD nominal.
- aepipeline (
Reprocesses the XIS, PIN and GSO data to produce cleaned event files. In Version 16, the bstgti parameter for xistime and a new parameter, hxdpi_old (to allow the use of old or new GSO gain calibration), have been added. In Version 17, updated XIS discriminator/threshold configuration list to reflect current production pipeline. In Version 19, bugs were fixed for the handling of Psum mode files, regarding TUNIT3 keyword, and when calling ftlist.
- Mission Time Calculator for Suzaku.
- mkphlist (Updated in Version 10)
- Photon list generator - to be used as first stage of ray-tracing simulations. Output file now includes a GEOMAREA keyword. Now (in version 10) checks for the required WCS keywords in the input image file.
- Reports the version string for headas/suzaku package.
HXD specific tools
Tools used in processing of WELL data
- hxdgrade (Updated in Version 16; bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 7)
- Fills the GRADE column for the WELL FITS; works on Version 2 format files and adds a new DET_TYPE definition since Version 5. Bug fix in Version 7 for when an input file has no NEVENTS keyword in the GTI extension. Bug fix in Version 12 for writing CHECKSUM when read_iomode=create. Updated in Version 16 to read the GSOOLDPI keyword to determine the appropriate CALDB file to use for the pseudo events selection.
- hxdgsoxblc (Bug fixes in Version 19; New in Version 14)
- Calculates the GSO source(+background) and background light curves. In version 19, bugs were fixed in calling ftlist and cleaned up string argument for straneous characters.
- hxdgsoxbpi (Bug fixes in Version 19; Updated in Version 15; New in Version 14)
- Calculates the GSO source(+background) and background light spectra. Updated in Version 15 to fill the RESPFILE keyword appropriate to the nominal pointing position, when CALDB is specified for the gsonom_rsp parameter. In version 19, bugs were fixed in calling ftlist and cleaned up string argument for straneous characters.
- hxdpi (Updated in Version 16; bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 7)
- Fills the HXD PI columns for the WELL FITS; works on Version 2 format
files and uses GSO GHT calibration file since Version 5.
Version 7 fixes a critical bug in calculating the PI values of GSO data
at the 2-3% level. Bug fix in Version 12 for writing CHECKSUM
Updated in Version 16 to use the new GSO gain calibration, with a new type of gain history calibration file, to extend the energy range from 70 keV to 50 keV and to improve the effective area calibration. One parameter (hxd_gsoght_fname) has been removed, while three new parameters (hxd_gsogpt_fname, leapfile, and orbit) have been added. This version writes a new keyword, GSOOLDPI, to the output file, with the value of F. This change is not backward compatible (see hxdpi_old below).
- hxdpi_old ("New" in Version 16)
- Identical to hxdpi in Version 15 (i.e., corresponds to the old GSO gain calibration), updated to add a new keyword, GSOOLDPI, with the value of T, to the output file.
- hxdpinxblc (Bug fixes in Version 19; New in Version 14)
- Calculates the PIN source(+background) and background light curves. In version 19, bugs were fixed in calling ftlist and cleaned up string argument for straneous characters.
- hxdpinxbpi (Bug fixes in Version 19; Updated in Version 15; New in Version 14)
- Calculates the PIN source(+background) and background light spectra. Updated in Version 15 to fill the RESPFILE keyword appropriate to the nominal pointing position, when CALDB is specified for the pinnom_rsp parameter. In version 19, bugs were fixed in calling ftlist and cleaned up string argument for straneous characters.
- Fills the TIME column for the HXD HK FITS (using SCLTIME and TI)
- hxdtime (Bug fix in Version 12)
- Fills the TIME column for the WELL FITS (using WELTIME and TI); works on Version 2 format files since Version 5. Bug in the treatment of DP clock wraparound was fixed in Version 6. Bug fix in Version 12 for writing CHECKSUM when read_iomode=create.
- Creates the FITS gain history files using outputs from hxdmkgainhist_gso and hxdmkgainhist_pin; works on Version 2 format files since Version 5.
- hxdmkgainhist_gso (Updated in Verion 20; Updated in Version 13)
- Calculates gain history for HXD WELL_GSO; used with hxdmkgainhist. Updated in Version 13 to use xspec V12 for fitting. Updated in Version 20 to keep up with changes in xspec outputs.
- Calculates gain history for HXD WELL_PIN; used with hxdmkgainhist
Tools used in processing of WAM data
- hxdbstjudge (Updated in Version 18)
- Implements a new method of burst detection based on HETE-2 trigger method; implements a method to detect source occultation signature.
- hxdbsttime (Bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 11)
- Fills the BST_FRZD_TM keyword in the header of the BURST FITS; reads bstidt file and uses Version 2 format. Starting with Version 10, it now implements a new method for time assignment, filles the TIMECORR keyword, and updates the ae_hxd_bstidt.fits file; a bug was fixed in Version 11. Bug fix in Version 12 in writing CHECKSUM in the BSTIDT file.
- hxdwambstid (Bug fix in Version 12)
- Fixes the time information and saves the burst ID information into a file. Bug fixes in Version 12 in writing HHMMSS and FRZN_HHMMSS, and when FRZON or FRZOF time is not obtained.
- Produces a gain history file for the TRANSIENT FITS
- Fills the GRADE column for the WAM FITS
- Applies gain correction to the WAM FITS.
- hxdwampipeline (New in Version 18)
- Reprocesses and generate products from the HXD-WAM data.
- Fills the TIME column for the WAM FITS
- hxdmkbstlc (Updated in Version 16; bug fix in Version 12)
- Makes light curves of burs events detected by WAM. Bug fix in Version 12 writing CHECKSUM of lc files. Added suport for dead-time correction in Version 16.
- hxdmkbstspec (Bug fix in Version 16; bug fix in Version 12)
- Calculates spectra from the burst data. Bug fix in Version 12 in witing COUNTS in PHA files. AN error in the definition file (hxdmkbstspec.def) was corrected in Version 16.
- hxdmkwamlc (Updated in Version 18; Bug fix in Version 16 & in Version 12)
- Makes light curves of WAM events. In Version 17, added FRACEXP and DEADC columns in the output file, and support for GTI in the input file.
- hxdmkwamspec (Bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 10; Bug fix in Version 8)
- Makes spectra of WAM events; Version 8 corrected a bug in how exposure was calculated when TIME_MODE=0. Starting in Version 10, it now supports Version 2 HXD WAM event files. Bug fix in Version 12 eliminating uninitialized parameters.
HXD Analysis Tools
- aemkpinudhk (New in Version 7)
- Calculate PINUD count used for non X-ray backgroung estimation from HXD HK files.
- hxdarfgen (Bug fix in Version 8)
- Generates the HXD "arf" files of PINs that correct for off-axis response. The parameter file (hxdarfgen.par) was corrected in Version 8, which previously lacked some parameters.
- Applies dead-time correction to the EXPOSURE keywords of PHA files. Now supports multiple files via the @filename syntax.
- hxdgtigen (Bug fix in Version 10; Updated in version 7)
- Provides GTI to avoid telemetry saturation. Now also excludes time intervals when data transfer from HXD Analog Electronics (HXD-AE) to Digital Electronics (HXD-DE) is saturated. In version 7, a new parameter fifo_full was added. In version 10, a bug was fixed, in which the treatment of non-reset counter when they wrapped around was incorrect.
XIS specific tools
- xiscoord (Bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 10; Updated in Version 5)
- Calculates the ACT, DEC, FOC and sky X/Y for XIS event files. Starting with Version 4, this tool supports query to CALDB files, can handle cleaned event files. Now fills with blanks if coordinate conversion fails; uses ACTY=511 for PSUM mode data; and has a new parameter, ignore_frames. Starting with Version 10, illegal PPUX/Y values are flagged as RAWX/Y=-999. Bug fix in Version 12 in updating TLMIN keywords.
- xisgtigen (Updated in Verion 20; Bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 5)
- Checks for XIS telemetry saturation and jumps in the frame time and writes a GTI file. Now supports PSUM mode event files and has a new paramter, ignore_frames. Update in Version 12 fixes the potential bug of writing null rows in GTI files. New hidden parameter, wingti (default=no) was added in Version 20. By setting wingti=yes, xisgtigen judges telemetry saturation for each window exposure or each line in psum mode.
- xisllegtigen (New in Version 12)
- Generate a FITS file of good time interval (GTI) that does not suffer from incorrect light leak estimation (LLE).
- xispi (Updated in Version 12; Bug fix in Versions 9 and 8; Updated in Version 5)
- Calculates the XIS PI and grade values from PHAS. Now supports data taken with Spaced-row Charge Injection (SCI), when combined with an appropriate calibration file, as well as PSUM mode data. Note there are new and removed parameters starting with Version 5. Bug fix in Version 8 now allows xispi to retrieve appripriate CALDB file when processing files contain long time periods. This bug did not affect normal science data, but affected the processing of NXB event files. Bug fix in Version 9 eliminates the excessive overhead (earlier version was accessing the CALDB many times unnecessarily). Starting in Version 12, a simpliefied CTI correction formula is used for CTI-on data, and corrected the number of transfers in window mode.
- xisputpixelquality (Updated in Version 5)
- Puts pixel quality code (PIXEL_QUALITY or STATUS) for each XIS event, now including additional bits for SCI and window boundary. Note that there are two new parameters, ignore_frames and enable_scipixq.
- xistime (Updated in Version 14; Updated in Version 12; Bug fix in Version 6; Updated in Version 5)
- Time assignment for Burst mode, PSUM mode or Window Option. The time assignment for Window option has been updated in Version 5. Now updates columns in GTI, FRAMES, EXPOSURES, and LOSTAREAS extensions, and time related keywords. Note that there are two new parameters, ignore_frames and gapsec. Bugs in the treatment of DP clock wraparound and in the PSUM mode time assignment were fixed in Version 6. Updated in Version 12 to accept timfile=NONE to re-generate GTI. The update in Version 14 adds a new parameter bstgti, to calculate the good exposure intervals for each frame when the XIS is perated in burst mode.
- xisucode (Updated in Version 5)
- Assigns the micro-code related keywords. Now writes SCI related keywords when used with new ucodelst calibration file. This tool has been rewritten in C and there is no longer an associated .par file.
- xis5x5to3x3 (New in version 7)
- Converts XIS 5x5 mode event files (EDITMODE='5x5') into 3x3 mode format (EDITMODE='3x3').
- xisarfgen (New in Version 19)
- An alternative to xissimarfgen. While the latter relies on raytracing and is always time consuming, this new tool interpolates from pre-calculated set of PSF/vignetting etc. files and can be much faster.
- xiscontamicalc (Update in Version 18; Updated in version 3)
- Calculates the carbon column density and transmission of the XIS OBF contaminant at specified time, detector position, and energy. Starting with version 3, users can multiply an input ARF file by the time-variable transmission of the XIS OBF. Read more about this tool In Version 18, added support for the new contamination model.
- xisexpmapgen (New in Version 5)
- Calculates a detector mask image that can be used by xissimarfgen, as well asn an exposure map in sky coordinates.
- xisnxbgen (Update in Version 8; New in version 7)
- XIS non-Xray background generator. Version 8 update allows this tool to use WMAP images as regfile (when regino_mode is DETFITS or SKYFITS).
- xisrmfgen (Updated in Version 20; Previously updated in Versions 19, 12 and 5)
- Generates time-variable XIS responses. Now supports RMF generation for data taken with SCI (requires new calibration file). Now reads EDITMODE, WINOPT, and CI keywords from the pha file. Note that there are new parameters, editmode, winopt, ci, and enable_scirmf. In Version 12, messages regarding 2x2 and PSUM mode RMFs have been updated in both the code and in the help file. In Version 19, this tool was modified for the Psum mode. In Version 20, new parameters bi_si_edge_mode and fi_si_edge_mode were introduced. The former is set to 1 by default, which instructs xisrmfgen to use a new and improved response model around Si K edge for XIS1; setting it to 0 will reproduce the old response. fi_si_edge_mode is reserved for future use, set to 0, and should not be changed in this version.
- xissim (Bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 10, Version 8, and in Version 5)
- Generates a simulated XIS event file for input photon file(s) made by the mkphlist task, by the XRT ray-tracing and the XIS RMF. Version 3 includes a bug fix for the parallax/aberration correction. Also include an on-the-fly photon generation capability. Now fills STATUS column appropriately. It is now (Version 8) compatible with the forthcoming release of CALDB (including the now discontinued June 2 release). The XRT misalignment and scattering parameters have been removed from the parameter file. In version 10, a bug in the wraparound GTI (when exposure is longer than GTI) was corrected. Bug fix in Version 12 writing RAWY column, and the ray tracing library has been made more robust against potential segmentation faults.
- xissimarfgen (Updated in Version 18;Bug fix in Version 12; Updated in Version 8; Bug fix in Version 7; bug fix in Version 6; updated in Version 5) In Version 18, added support for the new contamination model.
- Calculates the ARF by the XRT ray-tracing simulation. Additional parameters (common to those used in xisexpmapgen) have been included. The incorrect behavior for large number (>232) of events was fixed in Version 6. In Version 7, a bug when executed with source_mode=DETFITS option was fixed. It is now (Version 8) compatible with the forthcoming release of CALDB (including the now discontinued June 2 release). The XRT misalignment and scattering parameters have been removed from the parameter file. WMAP image can now be used as source_image (source_mode=DETFITS) and as regfileN (region_mode+DETFITS or SKYFITS). Bug fix of the ray tracing library to make it more robust against potential segmentation faults.
Other Relevant Software
- addascaspec (Updated in HEAsoft 6.5)
- In the ASCA package; it has been generalized to handle cases with a single .rsp files (previously, it assumed the presence of separate .rmf and .arf files).
- In the ASCA package; it has been generalized to handle Suzaku XIS data as well.
- pileest (New in HEAsoft 6.11)
- In the HEASARC package; it creates an estimated pileup fraction image from an event file.
- xselect (Updated in HEAsoft 6.8)
- Sets defaults for Suzaku data via entries in the xselect.mdb file. Starting with Version 8, if the input files are a mixture of 5x5 and 3x3 mode data, the former is converted to latter when running extract on Suzaku XIS event files. This ensures that any output event file is a correct 3x3 file. In HEAsoft 6.8, the file xselect.mdb was updated to allow xselect to recognize gzipped Suzaku .mkf files.
If you have any questions concerning Suzaku, visit the Feedback form.