All-Sky Monitor (ASM)
The ASM consists of three wide-angle shadow cameras equipped with
proportional counters with a total collecting area of 90 square cm.
The instrumental properties are:
Events detected by the ASM will be processed on board by the
EDS before insertion into the telemetry stream.
- Energy range: 2 - 10 keV
- Time resolution: 80% of the sky every 90 minutes
- Spatial resolution: 3' x 15'
- Number of shadow cameras: 3, each with 6 x 90 degrees FOV
- Collecting area: 90 square cm
- Detector: Xenon proportional counter, position-sensitive
- Sensitivity: 30 mCrab
It was built by the CSR at MIT. The principal investigator is
Dr. Alan M. Levine.
If you have a question about RXTE, please send email to one of our