Proportional Counter Array (PCA)
The PCA is an array of five proportional counters with a total
collecting area of 6500 square cm. The instrumental properties are:
Events detected by the PCA will be processed on board by the
EDS before insertion into the telemetry stream.
- Energy range: 2 - 60 keV
- Energy resolution: < 18% at 6 keV
- Time resolution: 1 microsec
- Spatial resolution: collimator with 1 degree FWHM
- Detectors: 5 proportional counters
- Collecting area: 6500 square cm
- Layers: 1 Propane veto; 3 Xenon, each split into two; 1 Xenon veto layer
- Sensitivity: 0.1 mCrab
- Background: 2 mCrab
The PCA was built by the EUD (formerly 'LHEA') at GSFC. For more information, please
see the PCA team page.
The PCA principal investigator is Dr. Jean H. Swank.
If you have a question about RXTE, please send email to one of our