XMM Status Report #1

NASA/GSFC XMM GOF
XMM Status Report #1

Greetings Potential XMM User,
    The X-ray Multi-Mirror (XMM) Observatory is the second cornerstone
mission in the European Space Agency's Horizon 2000 program, and is
scheduled for launch 21 January 2000.  XMM will be an observatory-class
X-ray facility for the first decade of the next century.
    The XMM payload consists of three large-area 7.5m focal length X-ray
telescopes and a 30cm diameter optical/UV telescope (Optical/UV Monitor,
OM), all of which will be in simultaneous operation.  The X-ray telescopes
have CCD focal-plane detectors (European Photon Imaging Cameras, EPIC),
which provide ~6" (FWHM) imaging and moderate spectral resolution over
the 0.1-15 keV energy range.  Two of the telescopes are also equipped
with reflection grating assemblies, which will provide high-resolution
spectra through the Reflection Grating Spectrometer (RGS).  The OM has
both broad-band imaging and grism spectroscopy capabilities.
    Together the effective area, energy resolution, and angular
resolution of the X-ray telescopes far exceeds previous observatories,
and will compliment the capabilities of AXAF.  When combined with the
simultaneous optical/UV observations of the OM, XMM will prove to be
an exceptionally powerful instrument for investigating the universe.
    XMM will have a Guest Observer (GO) program which will be open to
participation by US astronomers.  In addition, funding for successful
US GOs will be available through NASA.  To support US participation in
the XMM GO program, NASA has organized an XMM Guest Observer Facility
at the Goddard Space Flight Center.  AO-1 will be released 16 November
1998 with a due date of 31 March 1999.

With this e-mail status report, the NASA/GSFC XMM GOF is open for business.
Informational WWW pages with links to ESA program pages can be found at:
    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/xmm/xmmgof.html
The GOF can be reached by e-mail at:
    xmmgof@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov
For XMM questions there is an XMM help line at:
    xmmhelp@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov

A note on the e-mail distribution list used for this status report.  The
list is a combination of the lists of several GOFs (e.g., ROSAT, ASCA,
and XTE).  An effort was made to remove duplications but with over 1500
entries, a complete success is unlikely.  So, if you received duplicate
copies of this distribution, or if you want to be deleted (or added for
that matter) please e-mail xmmgof@athena.gsfc.nasa.gov with the subject
"mailing list".

Finally, the XMM SOC e-mail of 24 September 1998 announcing the release
of the XMM Users' Handbook has been included below.

Cheers,
    Steve Snowden for the NASA/GSFC XMM GOF