Suzaku Data Analysis
Analysis of Version 2 and Version 3 Data
- Things to
Watch Out For (Last updated 2016 Apr 26)
This page lists
- Calibration problems that have recently surfaced
- Hints on how best to run Suzaku specific software
Users of Version 2 data should update their Suzaku software to Version 6 or newer and also obtain the latest CALDB files.
- Suzaku FTOOLS
- Calibration files and related files can be obtained from
the CALDB page at GSFC
or from the
CALDB page at ISAS.
- There was a problem with the NXB database in the 20130110 version of XIS CALDB (files ae_xi?_nxb*_20121201.fits). This has been corrected in the 20130305 version (files ae_xi?_nxb*_20130228.fits).
The non X-ray background files for the analysis of the HXD data can be downloaded from the following locations:
|Tuned (smaller systematic uncertainties):
Version 2.0 (for observations before 2012 July) or
Version 2.2 (New: for observations since 2012 August)
|Version 2.5 (for observations before 2011-11-031)|
or Version 2.6 (for observations after 2011-11-03)
|Quick (usualy available sooner than "Tuned")||Old Gain (for comparison with old analysis)|
1Version 2.6 should be used for observations taken between 2010-03-01 and 2011-11-03 if it has been reprocessed with the latest gsogpt file.
Technical Description and XIS Quick Reference
Further details of the Suzaku satellite and its instruments, including the details of the data modes and calibration changes over the years, can be found in the Technical Description document, originally published as a guide for proposers.
- The Final Version of Technical Description (2016 November)
Dr. Tsujimoto of ISAS/JAXA maintained a 2-page quick reference for the XIS, mostly to facilitate observation planning. However, it contains useful information for archival users.
Stand-alone Pages on Specific Topics
The following are recent stand-alone pages on specific analysis topics. There are some instances in which information in these pages supercede that in the current version (Version 5.0) of the data reduction guide.
- A new recipe for
generating XIS non X-ray background for recent observations
of low surface brightness, extended objects
(2016 Apr 26)
for reducing XIS data taken in P-sum/timing mode (2015 Mar 31).
- HXD/PIN background
files for version 2.x processed data (Updated 2014 Jun 9).
- Increase of non X-ray
background for XIS1 with CI=6keV (Updated 2017 Mar 8)
- Updated gain history file for HXD/GSO is now available (2011 Sep 19)
- The HXD team has released an updated gain history file for the GSO that reduces the gain fluctuation for data taken since 2010 March (see the release note for further details). Affected users should reprocess their data.
- The latest note on GSO background (2012 Apr 9)
- XIS contaminant
calibration updated (2012 Oct 15)
calibration of XIS around 2 keV (Updated 2013 Mar 5)
- Contributed software (link to an MIT page): ISIS modules for Improved Attitude Correction and Pileup Estimation for bright point sources observed with XIS (Posted 2008 Aug 14) The FTOOLS versions of these tools are now available.
Recipe for Pileup Effect on the Suzaku XIS by Dr. Yamada.
(Link posted on 2012 Apr 10)
- PIN Epochs
(Last updated 2014 Apr 11): PIN data require
different response files depending on the epoch of the observation. In
particular, please note the frequent changes since 2009 Oct 1.
- PIN Noise
(2012 Apr 10)
- New gain calibration of the GSO data (Updated 2010 Aug 20)
- Empirical arf files for the new gain calibration (2010 Aug 20)
See also a list of current Suzaku memos - they contain more detailed information of many of the calibration issues.
The following pages include information appropriate for v2.x data and software that are also covered in the Reduction Guide, version 3.2.
- Updated calibration of XRT + XIS (Posted 2008 Jul 31)
- Updated energy scale calibration of XIS data with a window option (2009 Jun 4)
- Thickness of contamination on XIS0 (Updated 2008 Jun 18; Supercedes descriptions in the current ABC guide)
- Notes on V2.0/2.1 processed XIS data (Updated 2007 Dec 6)
- Updated gain calibration of SCI-on XIS data (2007 Nov 23; addendum on 2007 Dec 6)
- XISRMFGEN, the rmf generator for XIS (Updated 2007 Sep 26)
- XISSIMARFGEN: a ray-tracing based ARF generator (Updated 2007 Sep 19)
- Updates and a bug in addascaspec released with HEASOFT v6.7 (Updated 2009 Dec 7)
- Tips for faster spectral fits of XIS data (2007 Sep 19)
- How to Produce a Vignetting-Corrected XIS Image (Updated 2008 Jun 27, which has not yet propagated to the ABC guide.)
- Estimating the XIS
Non-X-ray Background (2008 Jul 9)
- A problem has been found in the latest NXB database of XIS1 for the SCI-off observations. Read further details. (2008 Sep 15)
- HXD/GSO background files for version 2.x processed data (2008 Jan 16; Addendum to the current ABC guide). All GSO data must be reprocessed (Updated 2008 Jun 27)
- A recipe for accounting for Cosmic X-ray Background in the PIN data (Updated 2008 Jun 27)
- HXD/PIN Flare Events after 28 July 2007 (2007 Sep 18)
- Suzaku XSELECT Notes (2006 Oct 2)
- Suzaku analysis Frequently Asked Questions list (Updated 2007 Jan 1)
- Suzaku data analysis page at ISAS.
- How to perform your own Version 2 reprocessing (Updated 2007 Jul 20)
XIS Specific Issues
- Spaced-row Charge Injection (SCI) - this technique drastically reduces the effect of radiation damage.
- Incorrect CTI correction for data obtained between August - October 2006 (Updated 2007 Mar 17)
- Time Assignment Errors in Rev 1.2/1.3 data when window option is used. (2007 May 7)
HXD Specific Issues
- The accuracy of
HXD/PIN response (2006 Sep 15)
- Saturation of HXD data during 2006 Mar-May (Updated 2007 Mar 16)
If you have any questions concerning Suzaku, visit the Feedback form.