Proposals & Tools
This material is in support of the call for the XRISM Guest
Scientist Program (due July 21, 2022).
The table below contains links to software and support files, tar files as well as documentation, which allow the user to simulate events and spectra for the Resolve spectrometer on XRISM (and SXS on Hitomi). The same files can be downloaded directly from the XRISM FTP.
If you need help, please send your queries using the HEASARC feedback form for XRISM.
|Simulation Software, Support Files, and User Guide
Available HEASoft Tools and Manuals
The simulation software is part of
the HEASoft suite of tools. The main tasks used are the
-- simulate an event file
- skyback -- simulate
sky X-ray background
-- calculate the spectrometer branching ratio
- XSPEC -- for spectra simulation
- XSELECT -- extract spectra from event file
To install the software follow the steps in the general
installation directions for the
How to use heasim, skyback, and sxsbranch for XRISM is
described in Simulation User Guide and XRISM Simulation Quick Guide.
All XRISM pre-launch simulation
tools and related files are listed here. The files are also available from the
- General README -- General and more extensive README for all simulation files
- Simulation file README -- Read this file for overview information on the XRISM Resolve simulation files
- Support files README -- Read this file for overview information on the XRISM Resolve simulation support files
User Guide -- User guide on performing XRISM Resolve simulations, which supplements the quick guide
- Simulation files (direct download) -- This tarfile includes the support files for heasim as well as the responses and background files needed
to simulate Resolve data and spectra (heasimfiles_20201012.tar.gz)
- heasim scripts (direct download) -- This tarfile includes the scripts that are documented in the user guide above
- Spectral files (direct download) -- This tarfile includes only those files needed for spectral (e.g., Xspec) simulations (specfiles_v003.tar.gz)
- XRISM Simulation Quick Guide -- Quick guide to
performing XRISM Resolve simulations
|XRISM Relevant Papers
| XRISM Overview
This overview was presented at the SPIE conference in December 2020.
| XRISM White Paper
This white paper lays out the intended science goals
| Other XRISM Publications
Collection of XARM and XRISM publications.
|Hitomi Relevant Papers
| Hitomi Instrument papers
This collection of papers includes a general description of the Hitomi observatory as well as papers describing the instruments.
These are the proceedings of the SPIE conference in Edinburgh 2016.
| Hitomi White Papers
These white papers are representative of the science planned to achieve with Hitomi.