ASCA Data Analysis
This page helps users analyze ASCA data obtained from GSFC. Please also refer to the Data Processing page, which documents what have been done at GSFC to produce these data.
Data Analysis Guides - The Essentials
- ASCA analysis FAQ
for non-experts (researchers/students who are new to X-ray
- The ASCA Data Reduction Guide (formerly the ABC Guide) (also available in Postscript and gzipped Postscript format). Updated 2001 March 30.
- Things to Watch Out For (& Warning about SIS data below 1 keV and bgd subtraction of recent data) when doing ASCA analysis (a new feature, updated 2001 February 13)
- Calibration Uncertainties - updated 2001 February 13.
Data Reduction and Analysis Procedures - Further Details
- The "why and how" of ASCA Data Screening, including:
- The "why and how" of
ASCA Background Subtraction, including:
- New point-source removed GIS blank sky database released
- A table of SIS blank fields observed since 1996.
- Xselect Users Guide
- ASCA FTOOLS Package
- References to help analyze ASCA data with IDL
- Combining spectra from different instruments and chips with the FTOOL addascaspec.
- How to create ARFs for extended sources
- ASCA analysis FAQ for expert users
Please see the ASCA Calibration page for full details on calibration files, cross-calibration with other missions, and more. Listed below are selected highlights and news:
- Effect of Changes in the ASCA Calibration on Spectral Parameters
- GIS gain calibration of recent observations This supersedes the earlier (2001 April) reprocessing and affects more sequences. - 2002 Jun 26.
- The Latest CTI calibration file - this includes a preliminary calibration of the Non-linear Secular Evolution of the SIS CTI and the Updated Calibration of Non-uniform CTI (March 30, 2001).
Please refer to Software News for full details (see also the HEASARC Software page). The most recent entries on the Software News page are:
- Known bugs/features in the ASCA data analysis software - updated 2002 Jun 26.
- HEAsoft v5.2 ASCA release notes (Created 2002 Jun 26)
- XRT News (Image and Extended Source Analysis) - updated 1997 July 15 .
- GIS News - updated 2001 April 12.
- SIS News - updated 2001 March 30.
- ASCASCREEN rejected almost all my data !
- File name description for Rev1 and Rev2 data. - what you can do to fix this
Fixing the GIS3 bit problem for observations between 1994 Feb 10
and Apr 8
This file was last modified on Tuesday, 12-Oct-2021 14:34:41 EDT
HEASARC Guest Observer Facility
If you have any questions concerning ASCA, visit our Feedback form.